Online photo storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyno

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there have been threads about online storage but I can not find any. I need some good sites for online photo storage.

Thanks

Dan

Over a year ago I gave up on the free photo hosting sites. Not only was I tired of the pop up windows, distracting rolling/flashing/moving banners and unwanted spam, None of them were ever all that easy to use amd manage my photos. Not to mention the biggest thing I use online hosting for....posting single photos to websites. Most of the free places no longer allow you to do that. I think Imagestation still does but I could be mistaken

I started usingScuba Shots by Allenhost. No, it's not free. But for $33 a year, that's less than 10¢ a day, 300MB of space unlimited albums and 1 GB transfer per month. I can design the look of each of my albums, rearrange photos, move them between albums, have slideshows, etc. I have total control over my albums. I can also hide pictures within albums or whole complete albums. I can set it up so only those with a password can view it. You imagine it, and it's probably already there!

Look at the link in my signature to My Photos to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info. How do you get started using it I do not see a sign up for photo hosting? I did email them though.

Dan

Be careful when you use those online photo host sites. A whilke back I was using one to host pics for my ebay auctions. Others were using it to host thousands of pics. They went belly up with out any notice. :(

Personnaly - I use Sony's Imagestation.com site. I got a flyer about it when I bought my camera (also a sony).... I don't recall any requirements that you need to be a sony consumer to use the site. I currently have over 400MB of pics posted and another 400MB will get posted over the next few days from last weeks trip to Grand Cayman.

I register the email address of the folks I want to invite to the site - they need to register online and create an account - I don't believe they've received any SPAM as a result of signing up. Guests have the option of purchasing prints of the pics I post from the site or can browse/download at the leisure.

Not realy looking to store for safty just looking for online storage so that others can see and that I link off of. I appreciate your concern though crazed_dolphin.

Sending Larry an email is the right thing to do. He'll contact you with the details.

The hosting site that crazed_dolphin mentioned was PhotoPoint. Overnight they just weren't there! It caught alot of us by surprize and lots of folks lots all of their pictures. Larry was one of those users who was using PP at the time. As a fellow photographer, he joined us all in trying to find another free site...there were about a dozen of them at the time. Slowly but surely most of them quit allowing you to post a single picture to another site, they required you to link to your whole album. The next thing we knew these sites we requiring everyone to sign up on their website to even look at the albums. And/Or as mentioned, the albums owner has to make it a point to list your email on an approved list.

With encouragement from alot of photographers, Larry decided to start his own hosting site, designed BY a photographer FOR photographers. Most of us weren't hunting for something free so much as we wanted something dependable. Larry has provided that for us.

As for the spam....the first time I signed up for Imagestation to look at someones pictures, I had spam from them and Sony with just a few hours. Luckily I had opened a Yahoo.com email just for that registration site and never used it anywhere else. In just a months time, that account was getting about 50 spam emails a day from all over the place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom