Online Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RX8Bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
US Diver - Online SCUBA Diving Community -

I know the ideas been around for quite awhile. But I needed to come up with a site for a school project and i've been working on this. I would like peoples opinions on the site as far as functionality. Granted i'm not nearly finished and its been under alot of redesign as I have more and more ideas.

At this point a person can keep a logbook with several "Privacy Settings", they can set it to be Public, Friends Only, or Completely Private, a buddy can sign off on a dive. Dive Shops can register and have users subscribe to them to view upcoming dives/training and other events. Users can post their levels of certification and only DIVE SHOPS can "sign" the certification.

Users will be able to upload pictures to the site and each dive will act as a photo albumn. The website will track bottom time and other information. Theres alot going into the site and I just want user input to make it more user friendly and better.

So if you could I would like some user input from people that would potentially use it. US Diver - Online SCUBA Diving Community -

Yes, in order to view the logbook you need an account. That can easily be changed though the link below will work with or without an account as I have my logbook set to public. Although I just noticed a problem with it, the site isn't wrapping text like it was, therfore the page is a bit stretched. It was working so that it wasn't any wider than the banner at the top. I'll be fixing that tomorrow night after I get out of class.

http://usdiver.org/index.php?show=logbook&page=showLogbook&username=Bobby

Profile page (Unfinished): http://usdiver.org/index.php?show=account&page=viewProfile&username=Bobby

Last edited:
Another thing i've been working on with my idea also include creating a logbook application.

Last edited:
I'm in need of some help on this, what sizes are most logbook page dimensions? I've got my logbook but its tiny and most that I've seen are larger. And what specific content would you want included in say a printout that can be put into the logbook? I am going to try and setup a way for users to print out their logs to be able to hole punch and put into the logbook.

I want to be able to display the logs in common dimensions that users can print out easily and insert into their logbooks.

Last edited:
Not sure if any one is actively following this or not. But users are now able to upload images to their logbooks. That is, after you make an account, click the "Logbook" button. Add a Dive to the logbook, then view your logbook, view the dive you added, then at the top there should be an option that says: "Add Picture" click that and go ahead and upload. Each picture has a 2 mb size limit. The size limit is subject to change though.

Images are shown as thumbnails at the bottom of the log. An icon will appear next to any Log in the Logbook that has an image uploaded. The thumbnails are links to the full size image.

Example: http://usdiver.org/index.php?show=logbook&page=showLogbook&username=Bobby

As well as the website, i've been working on an application to interface with it. What i'm looking for at this point are people willing to beta test my program, i've still got a little more to do and hope to have the application finished in about 2 weeks or so.

If interested you may email me at robert@usdiver.org all you need that I am aware of is Java installed on the machine, and less than 2 mb of diskspace. I'll post screen shots soon.

do online logged dives even count as proof for logged expierence, when you are going for something that requires "logged dives"?

I honestly wouldn't use the Online Log as a high rated source, for any system. Paper log books should still be important, but the virtual book could be used as a starting point or reference. Meanwhile I can always adapt my system to make it so that only divers listed as the person's buddy may sign it, people may only sign it if they have a certfication posted that has been verified by a registered shop, or may include other criteria. As it stands any registered diver that can view another diver's logbook (Based on privacy settings of course) may "virtually sign" the dive.

I am going to do my best to prevent false logs from being submitted but there is only so much that can realistically be done. If you have any ideas for improvement please let me know. That's why I have posted this here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom