One week Mar-April ... Roatan or somewhere else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollieag02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy!
I have a week to spend. Last week of March/first week of April. Was thinking I’d hit Utila and Roatan.
Advice? Dive ops on the islands you’d recommend?
Bug spray is already packed! Thanks

Howdy!
I have a week to spend. Last week of March/first week of April. Was thinking I’d hit Utila and Roatan.
Advice? Dive ops on the islands you’d recommend?
Bug spray is already packed! Thanks
Pick one or the other. Doing both islands in the same week is not a good idea or advisable. What are your dive goals and objectives?

Pick one or the other. Doing both islands in the same week is not a good idea or advisable. What are your dive goals and objectives?
Thanks for the advice. My dive goals are to get in the ocean low standards, but hey, I’m landlocked!
I’ve never been to Honduras and just wanting to check it out. I’ve heard there’s a chance this time of year to see whale sharks, which would be cool. If also love to do a variety of dives. As I understand it, most of Utila is one side of the island and Roatan is more diverse in locations and types of dives?

I have a bunch of friends from central NY (Rome NY) who are going to CocoView that week. They are a great group and welcome others so that might be one option.

CCV has been described by some as the closest thing to a LOB that you can do on dry land.

I tend to agree on picking one of the islands if you only have a week. Packing up and changing location takes time that you won't be diving or exploring. OTOH, I believe there is better ferry service between the islands than there used to be which might make splitting a week easier.

Some of the resorts there are very oriented to Sat- Sat stays, so staying for a few days may rule out a few places. CCV is actually one where a partial week might not work, and they are usually booked way in advance, but getting in with a group that has a week there could work out well. I would suggest looking for a last minute opening on the Aggressor, but they do appear to be booked that week.

Thanks for the advice. My dive goals are to get in the ocean low standards, but hey, I’m landlocked!
I’ve never been to Honduras and just wanting to check it out. I’ve heard there’s a chance this time of year to see whale sharks, which would be cool. If also love to do a variety of dives. As I understand it, most of Utila is one side of the island and Roatan is more diverse in locations and types of dives?

Roatan has canyons and swimthroughs. On Utila there's apparently much better chance of seeing the big stuff, but the big stuff may or may not show up. Whereas the canyons and swimthroughs are not going anywhere.

I assume you are traveling alone? Roatan will be easier to get to from a time standpoint. No direct flights to Utila. Have to stop in Roatan en route. If traveling solo, then I would recommend taking the advice from @Hoag and see if you can get in with that group and double up with someone to lower costs. CocoView will give you the maximum dive count in a week, if that is an objective. I have never been to Utila, so I cannot make any recommendations. If I were traveling solo and wanting to dive in the region, I would personally be looking at Cozumel. Depending on my resources, I would be looking at an AirBNB room downtown or a room at either Suites Colonial, Suites Bahia, Casa Mexicana or Hotel Mary Carmen. I would be looking to book my dives with Blue XT Sea, Tres Pelicanos or any number of great dive ops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom