Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fintan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning a December trip to Phillipines and getting a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choice! We are a couple in mid 30's and looking for a month split between diving and relaxing/exploring. Dislike very touristy spots (e.g. put off by El Nido for this reason). I'm an experienced diver (AOW/100+dives) and my partner is just getting into it (OW/15dives).

Looking for some thoughts on the below itinerary:

6 Dec: Fly into Cebu, transfer to Malapascua
6 - 10 Dec: Malapascua for shark diving and my partner completes her AOW
11 Dec: Transfer to Bantayan Island
12 - 14 Dec: Relax / explore Bantayan Island
15 Dec: Transfer to Moalboal
16 Dec: Explore Moalboal area / Sardine dive
17 Dec: 6 Day Dive Safari boat with Savedra Divers. Moalboal > Alona Beach > Siquijor > Apo > Sipalay
Dive Safari Philippines | Savedra Dive Center
22 Dec: Finish dive safari at Sipalay
22 - 26 Dec: Christmas at Sipalay
26 or 27 Dec: transfer to Bacolod Airport, fly to?!
27 Dec - 4 Jan: not sure where to go for our last week, possibly Palawan or back to Cebu / Bohol?
4 Jan: fly to Thailand via Manila

Some questions:
- Anyone have experience with Savedra divers and this 6 day dive boat?
- Anyone spent time in Sipalay, should we stay here for Christmas or move on after our dive safari?
- Are we covering the best of diving in Phillipines? (I know we won't get to Tubbataha at this time of year, and I had looked into Apo Reef but seemed to be difficult to get to on a budget).
- For our last week, we don't want to do much more diving and looking for recommendations that don't require a lot of additional travel? Looking to just relax / celebrate new year / white sandy beaches / not a party scene.

Chritsmas and New Year is the time that the whole country is on the move!!

1. Sipalay will be very busy over Christmas, lot of European. But diving there is quite good.
2. Dumaguete or Bacolod is more or less equi-distance from Sipalay. Check flight schedule from both airport.
3. Boracay is NOT that far from Bacolod. Ferry across to Iloilo and then bus and ferry to the Island. Unfortunately it will be extremely busy over New year!!
4. Slightly off the beaten track for foreign tourists : Guimaras Island
Best Beaches of Guimaras Island -

I spent a week diving in Sipalay this past November--the diving well was underwhelming. Stayed at Takatuka Resort which we liked and it has a great beach. After Sipalay we took a five hour bus ride down to Dauin and dived there for another week---our fourth visit to Mikes Beach and Dive Resort. I much preferred the diving in Dauin--lots of muck and of course the diving at Apo Island. I wouldn't return to Sipalay to dive again but will be back in Dauin this December. From Dauin we took the ferry from Dumaguete to Bohol for another week and dived Balicasag Island which I preferred over Sipalay as well. Sipalay is very laid back compared to places like Alona Beach area (Bohol) or Boracay--dived there too but wouldn't return there for diving---all the new rules and regs at Boracay may make it a better place to vacation now--still had one of the best beaches I've ever seen.

take me, please?

i could be your valet.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Changed the itinerary around to as follows for our month in Philippines:

4 Dec: Fly into BACOLOD, transfer to SIPALAY
5 - 9 Dec: Easy Diving & Beach Resort in SIPALAY, my partner completes her AOW
9 - 14 Dec: 6 DAY DIVE SAFARI - Sipalay > Apo > Siquijor > Alona Beach > Moalboal
14 - 17 Dec: MOALBOAL
18 - 21 Dec: BANTAYAN
22 - 27 Dec: MALAPASCUA
28 - 1 Jan: CAMOTES
2 Jan: FLIGHT OUT from CEBU

Any thoughts on the places we are visiting, amount of time spent at each, transfer logistics etc?

Thanks, Fintan

You are traveling the busiest time of the year. Every time you are going to move from place to place, give your self a full day. Ferries are overcrowded and late, and road traffic at stand still. Everyone in Philippines is moving as someone mentions above.

Back
Top Bottom