one light 100-250$ range for gopro videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. With a mirrorless, you can use wet lenses to do macro and wide angle in the same dive, just like with a compact. Cameras with interchangeable lenses just give you the option to use dedicated (dry) lenses instead, with (potentially) better results. A camera with interchangeable lenses gives you more flexibility, not less.

Oh i understand thanks. For a beginner a compact is probably more appropriate anyway right? The size does not really feel like a big issue to me...

I don't think either is more or less appropriate than the other. It's just a matter of figuring out what your goals are and what your budget is.

You can get VERY good results with an RX100 Mk II or with an A6000.

As a beginner myself, I felt like compact or mirrorless was less important than keeping my budget somewhat low. I didn't want to be that guy selling a $3K camera rig that was 2 months old. I ended up with a mirrorless camera because I found a nice used one for less than an RX100 Mk II. Either one would be way more capable than I am, so budget made the final determination for me.

Agree with everything stuartv has said. When I was shopping around, it seemed like the Olympus EM5 was widely available used for great prices (<$400). Not as big of a sensor as the a6000 but a huge base of good lenses to choose from at reasonable prices. With the a6000 I have only shot the 16-50 kit lens and it's fine but definitely has noticeable limitations if you're detail oriented with your photography. The 35mm prime has fantastic specs but it's $400 and with the Olympus you can find more great lenses for less...The Olympus will take great photos. So will the Sony RX100...I would buy what you want to use on land...but that's me - I haven't been diving for long and I take a lot of photos in the mountains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom