One handed grip + light combo. Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to put together a grip + light setup for my Hero 3+ Black. Never worked with lights before but I really want a minimalist design, something small that I can just clip to myself at times and handle with one hand. I came across these options:

1) Mako AR 15 grip + 2 lights:
AR15 Go Pro Handle

Pros: This looks like a great deal and get the grip + 2 lights for $193. Really can't beat that deal. The 2 lights may be nice for a little redundancy during dives. Lights appear to be similar to the Archon D11V lights which El Pistoffo did a nice review on. Very small and compact

Cons: Need to get rechargeable batteries and will need to tend to O-rings. Also I can't tell from the pictures if the brackets for the lights will get in the way of my Backscatter Flip3.1.

2) SeaLife Sea Dragon 1200 or 2000
Amazon.com : SeaLife Sea Dragon 2000 Photo/Video/Dive Light, Black SL984 : Photographic Lighting : Camera & Photo

Pros: Seems like a simple clutter free system with a single grip and a tray with a pretty powerful light. Price is moderate
Cons: Need to deal with O-ring to recharge battery.

3) Sola 1200 or 2000 + Beneath the surface grip and arm

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Motion-...UTF8&qid=1397504969&sr=8-2&keywords=sola+2000

http://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Surfa...m_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=06BQDW91QYD7KES5EP7N

Pros: Well reviewed light and don't need to deal with O-rings
Cons: By far the most expensive option.

Anyone have any experience with any of these setups? I am leaning towards the Mako setup at this time for simplicity and cost. Just wondering if my Backscatter Flip filters will be able to work with it (not at the same time but to be able to flip the filters on and off)

I have the SeaLife Dragon 1200. Agree - it is a really nice, compact seemingly sturdy package. I just bought mine recently....and took it on 1 week trip to Roatan in March (using it on 24 of 26 dives) and used it locally here in greater Boston this past weekend (drysuit with dry gloves). Definitely usable with one hand and produces pretty stable video. The set-up is very modular = very easy to quickly pop off the light or the post or the tray (disconnects where you see the red buttons)...handy if you need to soak in a small container or for packing...and quickly and securely snaps back together. Light is easy to position. Light brightness = I don't really have much to compare it to, but certainly seemed to light up things nicely in the 3-6 foot range in clear Roatan water. Set-up with camera/housing is slightly negative...comfortably so. I secure with a simply wrist lanyard...with a bolt snap on the end of the lanyard in case I need to clip it off. Battery life....I was typically able to get about 2 dives out of 1 charge in warm Roatan water (I bought an extra rechargable OEM battery for the trip, as we were doing 5 dives most days). Why did I buy - LDS has them in stock and was nice to be able to kick the tires at least a little before I bought it. Here are some samples of the resulting video:

Note: I use the Backscatter flip 3.1 filter system...works fine with the tray/light

Coco View 2014 - March 2014 - Zurich-Diver

Old Garden Beach - April 2014 - Zurich-Diver

Hope this helps.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom