One day on the Yongala, or two days diving in Melbourne?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
shearwater submitted a new blog post

Introducing the Perdix

Perdix-Online-3-RGB-336Wx280H.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay in Melbourne. I would suggest that the Yongala is too much of a logistical hassle given your timeframe.

1. You have to get to Townsville. There is no daily direct flight from Melbourne, it will take half a day to get there.
2. You then have to decide between Adrenalin Dive who operate out of Townsville - but who regularly cancel the trip due to weather; or Yongala Dive who operate out of Alva Beach 2 hours drive south of Townsville, who are more reliable, but how do you plan to get to Alva?
3. Given the no fly time after diving...

Yongala is awesome, but not the most practical destination for a day if you're starting out in Melbourne. You'd spend the best part of a day getting there, one day of diving, and the best part of a day getting back to Melbourne afterwards. So it's really a 3 day trip for 1 day of diving.

Last edited:
You could do some wreck dives with either
Divevictoria.com.au
Redboats.com.au
(Chimney rock charters) Chimney Rock Charters Online Public Tour Availability Bookings

They all have websites and show their dive itinerary a month in advance. They also do reef diving as well.

I have to agree with WetPup the logistics for doing the Yongala are hard and it will cost you a fortune. Its arguably one of the best wrecks in the world to dive, but having said that there are some awesome wrecks much more accessible down south if you are prepared to travel a bit.

The Tugs at Eden and out of Merimbula (see Merimbula Dive Lodge) just over the NSW border (about 8 hours drive from Queenscliffe) are some of the best I have done. Different from the Yongala (not so much life but far more interesting as far as you can penetrate them etc).

If you don't want to travel then just stick to Queenscliffe. Tons of dive operators and sites to choose and also a lot of shore dives. Great variety of sites too. Personally I would go Queesncliffe or if wrecks are a must do, then go to Merimbula Dive Lodge and dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom