One day free for Sydney Dive- Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jose Luis Marques

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll have a rare chance to visit Sydney this November, and id like to know if there are any sites I must add to my logbook. I only have one day free, the 25th, and ive visited some websites to check out what's to see.

Id appreciate whatever tips you can give this visitor!

One day only, then I would recommend Bare Island. Always plenty to see.

Another good option is Cabbage Tree bay at Shelly Beach. heaps of critters, shallow easy entry and pretty much no effort to navigate. Decent spot to get some food and coffee right there as well.

Another good option is Cabbage Tree bay at Shelly Beach. heaps of critters, shallow easy entry and pretty much no effort to navigate. Decent spot to get some food and coffee right there as well.

That might be a good option si that the mrs won't mind so much!

I'd vote for Cabbage Tree Bay (aka Shelly Beach, Manly). I dive there regularly with Prodive Brookvale because they do transport to the site, so I don't have to pay for Manly parking. Bare Island is also a great site. Those would ge my top two picks.

I'd vote for Cabbage Tree Bay (aka Shelly Beach, Manly). I dive there regularly with Prodive Brookvale because they do transport to the site, so I don't have to pay for Manly parking. Bare Island is also a great site. Those would ge my top two picks.
Thanks for the Shop recommendation!

I think all the shops will transport you. Where are you staying? If you're staying in the city, you could catch the ferry over to Manly, hook up with Dive Centre Manly (they're a short stroll from the ferry) and get a lift to the site. The wife could hang out one of the cafe's or do a hike up to the lookouts. Cabbage tree is pretty awesome for a shore-dive (particularly if the dusky whalers are hanging around) but personally I find Bare the more interesting dive.

Yep Bare is a great site but no close by dive shop and can be a bit more challenging for a non local to navigate, enter exit. If he had more time than a day I would definitely be saying try to get them both in.

Not to hijack the thread, but am curious as well about diving Sydney. I will be in Australia for 6 weeks Nov, Dec, Jan, mostly visiting family. Spouse is from Sydney and we live in the US. Gonna dive GBR with Mike Ball for a week at beginning of December. Then some family/friend stuff.... From Boxing day till after New Years, rented a house in Freshwater about block off the water. Gonna do some surfing, but also curious about diving. Is it worth diving Sydney after GBR? Will only have 3mm wetsuit is that sufficient to diving in Sydney? Will have my DSLR rig with me, whats the visibility like? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom