One day dives from the Houston area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taylorm007

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for some info and I think this just might be the place to get it.

I recently got back from a trip to Coz, have become completely hooked and want to keep working on my skills while the last trip is still fresh. So, I am trying to figure out the best way to keep diving in the Houston area on the weekends since I am pretty much out of vacation for the year and can't swing another long weekend for a while.

I was looking into a Flower Gardens trip but thanks to some advice on this site (from Dee I think) I now know it is best if I try out a day trip to a rig since I only have ~15 dives and am only OW certified.

I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to go about this, who to dive with, who NOT to dive with, words of WARNING, don't forget to bring, etc.

I also saw some posts about a place called Twin Lakes. I think that is near where I live in Pearland (HWY 288 South of Houston). Is this worth the occasional visit?

Any help getting me started will be GREATLY appreaciated.

Thanks, Dan (writing from my brother Matt's SB account)

Twin Lakes is a great place to work on your skills and if it hasn't rained recently, the viz is ok.... it's cold down below 25-30 ft, so more neo, hood and gloves are required if diving deeper, along with a good light....and buddy:wink:

Hope to see you for a dive some time...

tony

Have to agree with Tony, Twin Lakes is the best we have that's close by. There's Blue Lagoon in Huntsville about 2 hours away but it's a limestone quarry with no life in it and viz varies like any other local place. There's Lake Travis in Austin which can be done in a day but is more fun as a weekend trip.

Thanks for the tips on Twin Lakes. I will check it out. I assume you need to rent a tank and weights from your LDS for this place?

Any advice on the one day boat trips out to the rigs?

Thanks again!

The guy we always used for the rigs just retired and closed his business. I have the names of a couple more charters that have been recommended to me but haven't used them personally so I can't recommend them one way or another. Boat Dive International Charters and Ultra Dive There are others but I have no information at all about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom