Once Again PSD Divers Take On Commercial Diving Role

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muddiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
San Bernardino County Sheriff's dive team to inspect dam. :shakehead: See news article in link or read below:

Big Bear Grizzly » News » Latest News

Big Bear Grizzly (News Paper)
Dam gets underwater inspection

E-mail story | Printer Friendly Version
Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:05 PM PDT

During a routine dive training operation on March 21, a San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department diver observed a crack on one of the arches of Bear Valley Dam. The diver did not have the tools to accurately measure the width, depth or length of the crack. He also did not have time to check the other 10 arches.

After hearing the report and confirming that the dam is not leaking, the Big Bear Municipal Water District sent its engineer for a preliminary evaluation of the divers’ observations. The crack was reported to the California state dam safety regulators.

The engineer’s conclusion is that “if the crack is new in the last two or three years, it may have been caused by normal processes including minor dam settlement or seismic activity.” He went on to say that “the mass concrete infilling of the arch (in 1988) and the new 24-inch-thick reinforced concrete wall ... were added for just this situation where the original dam continues to degrade over time.”

According to the engineer, the crack “is inconsequential to the safety of Bear Valley Dam.” The state dam safety regulators agreed with the MWD engineer’s assessment and provided the MWD with recommendations for a more thorough inspection.

The Sheriff’s dive team returns to complete a more thorough inspection of all the dam arches on Friday, April 4. Divers agreed to volunteer their service to perform the inspection, which will be videotaped. The videotape will be evaluated by the MWD engineer and engineers at the California State Division of Safety of Dams.

As soon as the two agencies review and analyze the video, reports will be formally presented and discussed by the MWD board.

I think they have just assumed a very large liability I would rather not have my name or team attached to. I don’t know many LEO’s that are dam engineers properly trained or qualified to do those inspections.

Here we go again with another CALIFORNIA agency trying to cut corners. They just had a double fatality trying to cut corners not far from this activity.

Gary D.

I have done this dive and it is a pretty small dam face. It is also old and they get a number of quakes in that area. I think the only thing they want is some video to asses the potential for further inspection! I would agree that PSD are asked to do much more than most, but it is an SO team and I can see them being asked to help considering the assets of the county. Just my two cents! Saw the biggest Crayfish I have ever seen behind the dam, thought it was a lobster:wink::D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom