On tight budget need cheap but reliable watch/computer recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetArchaeologist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, I'm pretty new to Scuba but hopefully I'll be doing it for the rest of my life, and while I'd like to get some top of the line equipment I am on a pretty tight budget. I would like to get a good, simple, cheap, reliable dive watch to use on my dives until I can afford a good dive computer. Can I get the names of manufactures to check out that make reliable watches at a good price? I'd also like to know about anywhere I could get a dive computer at a bargain. Thanks in advanced.

Sorry your post is a little confusing to me, are you looking for a watch, a watch style computer or a computer?

ill assume watch as this was mentioned in the body of your post.

If so any watch rated 200meters is suitable for scuba. Casio G shocks can be had cheap and would do the trick. Citizen and seiko make some cheaper model 200m watches also. Not sure of model availability or prices in the US. I imagine you could find something cheap online.

All of that being said you could probably pick up a second hand Suunto Zoop or Gekko for a similar amount of money. Computers have come down in price quite a lot in recent years.

Have a wee look around you might be surprised. Have a Look at the classifieds on this board.

You could also try contacting Beaverdivers he's a member of this board and often has good deals on ScubaPro and/Sub-Gear.

Look on Scubatoys Website and Leisure Pro this will give you an idea as to what's about and at what prices. Good luck with your search.

I have a timex ironman watch - less than $30, but I really never look at it - I just forget to take it off sometimes. On the computer side, I paid less than a $100 each for both my bottom timer and non-nitrox puck computer. Check eBay, craigslist and keep an eye on the classified here.

A watch cannot replace a computer. You need a watch, depth gauge, and tables.

I also dive G-Shocks. I'm on my 2nd in 10 years. And I wear it daily. They even have a night light feature that's useful in darker conditions. I know I didn't pay $100 for either one - probably closer to $50. The battery on the first one lasted about 7+ years.

Any of the big retailers have multiple dive computers for under $300. When you start doing a lot of diving you'll probably dive Nitrox. So get one that does both now. Most - except entry level models - also let you download dives to a computer. You might find a need for that for future reference. Some software also allows you to display a graphical representation of your depth/time.

Most also have user-changeable batteries - you'll probably want that as they typically last about a year. And always seem to fail when needed most. Most take standard watch batteries - I've noticed replacements are available in dive shops in some pretty remote areas.

Suunto Zoop is one option that's fairly affordable. Many of the Oceanic line are also. Some of their higher end models are designed to function as both a dive computer and a daily watch.

Some place to look: scubatoys.com, leisurepro.com, diverightinscuba.com, diversdirect.com, scuba.com.

Check out the IST GP-4000. TDL has a killer deal on them right now. If you want a watch buy a watch. If you want a diving watch, you are going to pay just as much if not more than a basic diving computer. Bruce

If you are thinking a watch-sized computer take a look at the Suunto Zoop or the Oceanic Geo 2.0, both good basic computers, not expensive but room to grow.

For a watch, get a good Timex or Casio. They'll do just fine. An expensive watch costs as much as the computers mentioned above.

If you are thinking a watch-sized computer take a look at the Suunto Zoop or the Oceanic Geo 2.0, both good basic computers, not expensive but room to grow.

For a watch, get a good Timex or Casio. They'll do just fine. An expensive watch costs as much as the computers mentioned above.

The Zoop is wrist top not wrist watch unless you are a giant.

Get an Uwatec 330m bottom timer. It will give you both depth, time and logbook for a cheap price! And it will help you become a better diver by forcing you to actually plan your dives and dive your plan.

Good point on the Zoop. It's too big to wear as a watch for most people, but the cost is right. For a watch sized Suunto you'd have to move to the D4 which costs more unless you can find one used.

I do like the Geo 2.0 for all-around use. It's a little thick but it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom