On planning a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmbelina

Reaction score
Where do you guys/gals find all your info on planning a dive trip?

I was planning on going on a trip next year with my LDS, but its too expensive (~$2400 depending on airfare, not including any meals).

So I think I will look into something in my own time.

Surf the net, listen to the other divers, get in your car and hope for the best. Try NC, its like the carribean but closer part of the year, Jun - Oct.

First I usually get a desire to go someplace from other divers stories and trip reports. Personal recommendations go way farther than slick magazine ads.

After I decide where to go I'll search the internet for accommodations and dive ops in the area. I've already gotten an idea about these from divers but I like to see pictures of the place even if they aren't always reliable. I'll maybe make a list of places that sound good, hotel and dive ops, then I'll go back to the message boards and ask others about those specific places and businesses.

Once I decide on where and who with, I start thinking about when. Alot of the time this depends on off season specials to various areas. For instance, around Panama City, Fl. hotel prices can change weekly up to October. Depending on weather patterns, water temps, ect. we decide on when.

But to answer your basic question...other divers and the internet!

There are some real bargains available in vacation packages which usually do not include Scuba. Just add that on your own. I hit Cozumel this past June for $640.00 for a week including air out of Austin, TX, hotel, xfer transportation, food & drinks, and tips. Diving cost added $250.00 plus $50.00 tip. These things pop up in the sunday paper travel section with limited availability and are accessable online. Dive shop trips can be fun but you are paying a good bit for the handholding.

Last time I checked one of the cheapest airline tickets in existence is the NYC-MIA round trip. Tack on a Blackbeard's for about $1K total... food, drinks, diving, tips, taxes & a Bimini "T" shirt and there's a week to remember at a reasonable price.
Rick

realistically like to take.

Then, check each one and go with the best deal, rather than saying I an going to this spot and then only search for deals for that one location.

In time it will be the best deal...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom