?? on BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at this package, but have some quesitons... TECHNICAL BCD PACKAGE at Divers-Supply.com

I currently only dive singles (at some point I would like to get into doubles, but that is probably a way off). I was looking at the single 30lb wing and SS plate. My question is if for this setup, do I need the single tank adapter? Looks like the plate has slots for the cam bands. Is that good enough? Does the tank adapter provide some benefit that it would be better to get for this setup?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am just getting into the BP/W and appreciate the help.

According to the site you do not need an STA. Look up the wing itself and check what it says. STA may be helpful if you will need addtional weight. It does move the tank further away from your back though. Not real familiar with the HOG wings I dive DSS and am glad there is no STA needed.

I really reccomend a single tank adapter. You won't be able to get the tank secured good without it. It tends to give a rolling sensation without it, to me. Also, you are correct to get the smaller wing. Wings designed for doubles will not work correctly with a single tank. It will "taco" around the tank and not dump air effectively, and is much more difficult to trim. You can't go wrong with Diverite- I dive it myself. However, my next plate and adapter will come from hammerheadscuba.com I reffered my buddy to them, and these SSplates and adapters are awesome! They are the heaviest in the market (that I have found) and that means less weight on the belt. The quality was top notch too (hate to say it, but better than Diverite, OMS, etc..). Just to be clear i have no affiliation with hammerhead scuba, other than jealousy! You can get the stainless b/p and adapter for $99 then hit divegearexpress.com for webbing, d-rings, buckle, and wing.

I really reccomend a single tank adapter. You won't be able to get the tank secured good without it. It tends to give a rolling sensation without it, to me. Also, you are correct to get the smaller wing. Wings designed for doubles will not work correctly with a single tank. It will "taco" around the tank and not dump air effectively, and is much more difficult to trim.

i agree

you can buy just one plate and harness, but you will have to get two wings (one for singles, one for doubles)

i am not aware of any wing that is really good at both

Last edited:
I have no problem with tank rolling, it sits very tight and does not rock and roll.

I really reccomend a single tank adapter. You won't be able to get the tank secured good without it. It tends to give a rolling sensation without it, to me.

This is simply not true with a well designed "direct mount" system.

The DSS method is very secure, and we do not use a STA.

STA's aren't evil, just unnecessary if the system is properly designed.

Take a look at this video. Notice any tank movement?

https://www.deepseasupply.com/images/stabildemo.mov

Tobin

This is simply not true with a well designed "direct mount" system.

The DSS method is very secure, and we do not use a STA.

STA's aren't evil, just unnecessary if the system is properly designed.

Take a look at this video. Notice any tank movement?

https://www.deepseasupply.com/images/stabildemo.mov

Tobin

Impressive- I stand corrected. Just curious tho- is the B/P being used backwards so to speak, so that the center channel goes against the tank rather than how it would normally be against your back to accomodate wing nuts?

No the plate is not flipped. There are blocks on the wing that stabilize the tank. Dss also uses tension blocks that the cam straps pass thru in the channel. The hog wing seems to use a ridge of some sort that does the same thing.

No the plate is not flipped. There are blocks on the wing that stabilize the tank. Dss also uses tension blocks that the cam straps pass thru in the channel. The hog wing seems to use a ridge of some sort that does the same thing.

Yes, I should have mentioned those blocks on the wing. Great video, Tobin.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom