on a mission... to hopefully see a whale shark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm2613

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to see Whale Sharks in Belize... I stumbled across a website describing "common" sightings in April/May off of Placencia. I have a week off from school and would love to pursue the idea of snorkel/scuba with a whale shark.. its kind of a life long dream of mine.

That being said - I haven't had the time to do much research on how realistic it would be to think I would see one - So i figured i'd ask the experts on this forum.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd be traveling end of April. I'm open to any advice on where else to dive (ideally a place known to have good fish around April).

I have dove Curacao, Turks Caicos, St. Maarten/Saba, and Taba Egypt so far.

Thank you~

Mike

Hi Mike,

I know exactly what you mean about it being a life long dream. I'm headed to Placencia in June to dive with Splash Dive Center in search of the same.

You should contact Ralph Capeling, a SB member and co-owner of Splash. They do Whale Shark packages starting in March. He frequents this board and recently started the thread, Found 3 inch seahorse at Laughing Bird Caye. You can PM him from there.

I lifted this off their website for you:

Our 2011 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

March 16th - March 26th
April 15th - April 25th
May 14th - May 24th
June 13th - June 23rd

The Belize Whale shark package includes:

Round-trip flight between Belize City and Placencia
Land transfers between Placencia Airstrip and Hotel
Accommodations at any of the resorts listed below (see individual pricing)
7 nights/8 day stay
3 days of Whale shark diving at Gladden Spit
2 days of diving on Belize Barrier
1 inland tour
Whale shark dives includes, 2 tanks, weights, entrance fee, lunch and taxes

Even though the best months are supposed to be April and May, unfortunately I can't make it until June. So if I don't see any then I'll just have a good excuse to return.

Mike, I need to go off topic for just a moment.

HANK!!! PLEASE PM ME!!!

Sorry about that, Mike. Blame it on Hank, lol. Back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom