OMS systems BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathon Dockery

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any knowledge they could share about the OMS BP/W? I have ordered a comfort harness II along with a single SS tank adapter and two cambands (2in). I plan to order a single bladder wing (45lb) soon "also OMS systems" and weight pouches. Could anyone share what additional equipment I may need with this setup and what experiences you have had?

it's a generic backplate? not much else to discuss.

why did you choose OMS? why did you think you needed or wanted a comfort harness? Why did you order the STA and cam bands before you got the plate and wing? Why do you think you need a 45lb wing? Why do you think you need weight pouches?

the reality is that wing is way too big for most single tank diving, the comfort harness is horribly expensive and unnecessary, and if you are able to rent steel tanks which you can in NC, you shouldn't need any extra lead if you buy a stainless steel backplate. Not trying to sound condescending but the questions above are very valid to try to understand where you are going with this.

Sorry, but I have to agree with the above post.

I do PSD in the PNW. It is dark and cold here and I run doubles most of the time. On our singles rig have a 38lb wing, which is more then enough. No need for an STA with the wings we use, keep the tank closer to the body.

"Comfort" harnesses have lots of added failure points and places for entanglement vs one piece webbing.

As for weight you will most likely need some kind of weight belt or harness, depending on what exposure protection you use.

Don't forget you will also need to be wearing some kind of tether for most operations. You need to check with you SOG/SOP/DOG and or FROG.

it's a generic backplate? not much else to discuss.

why did you choose OMS? why did you think you needed or wanted a comfort harness? Why did you order the STA and cam bands before you got the plate and wing? Why do you think you need a 45lb wing? Why do you think you need weight pouches?

the reality is that wing is way too big for most single tank diving, the comfort harness is horribly expensive and unnecessary, and if you are able to rent steel tanks which you can in NC, you shouldn't need any extra lead if you buy a stainless steel backplate. Not trying to sound condescending but the questions above are very valid to try to understand where you are going with this.

Tbone1004, thank you for the reply, to answer your questions, the current shop I dive with and receive training through, the lead instructor uses both OMS and Mares BP and Wings. I am new to the whole idea of using BCD's that are not fully integrated but do like the idea of them being just simple in nature. My current shop is fixing to drop OMS, however, are still big fans of them. They highly recommend them, so I guess you can say they have influenced me a little. At this point in time, I am just getting started, not in diving, but in expanding my array of gear for different types of diving. I have had the benefit of using my instructors OMS system, which did not have the comfort harness system, I guess you could say he is old school, and likes the single harness system. After trying on the comfort harness, I feel like it fits me, basically it feels more comfortable to me. I guess the name suits itself. On the wing choice, I'm still debating on lift capacity. My instructor uses a single 95 pound lift, but says it is way to much over kill for me. He recommends a smaller wing like a 35 pound. As stated before, I'm just starting to cross over to the BP and Wing. I know that there are a ton of systems out there, but I do like the idea of having a dealer close by in the event I need a repair or warranty work done. I'm curious on why you feel the comfort harness system is unnecessary, at what point do you feel I should sacrifice my comfort to conform to this new type of diving, at least new to me. Thanks for any advice.

where in NC are you? bunch of divers around the area that may be able to have you try some of the one piece harnesses to see if you like them.

you shouldn't sacrifice comfort, the key is making sure the backplate is the right size, and that you are actually optimizing for comfort and performance instead of sacrificing in water performance and comfort for that on land

where in NC are you? bunch of divers around the area that may be able to have you try some of the one piece harnesses to see if you like them.

you shouldn't sacrifice comfort, the key is making sure the backplate is the right size, and that you are actually optimizing for comfort and performance instead of sacrificing in water performance and comfort for that on land

I am in Wilkes County, NC, but like I stated earlier, I tried my instructor's, which he does use a one piece harness, I just did not like how it felt. I a few hours in the pool with his, and then made two 30 minute dives, and really enjoyed the freedom of the BP and Wing, but the harness itself seam to dig into my shoulders and collar bone, thus prompting me to go with the comfort harness.

Ask your instructor to explain, quantitatively, *why* he uses a 95 lbs lift capacity wing.

Tobin

The way he explained it to me, simply because it is a tax right off. He is not only the lead instructor but shop owner as well. He says the 95 pound bladder is way to much and he has had trouble selling it, so the last one he had in stock, he used, and justified it as a tax right off. He recommends a small bladder like a 35 pound lift.

I am not sure if you had any exposure protection on in the pool. Without anything on stiff webbing will not be as nice. In reality, especially PSD, as you state your intended use, you should have plenty of protection from that.

Comfort is really a personal thing. With BP/W making sure it is sized for you will help a lot. I have 2 rigs, one for cold water and my drysuit and one for 3mm down to a rash guard. If I were my cold water one with my rash guard when we do pool training it is not as nice.

I am not sure if you had any exposure protection on in the pool. Without anything on stiff webbing will not be as nice. In reality, especially PSD, as you state your intended use, you should have plenty of protection from that.

Comfort is really a personal thing. With BP/W making sure it is sized for you will help a lot. I have 2 rigs, one for cold water and my drysuit and one for 3mm down to a rash guard. If I were my cold water one with my rash guard when we do pool training it is not as nice.

Not quite sure where I stated PSD was going to be my intended use, but to answer your question, I first used a Mares 8/6/4 wetsuit and a Mares 3mm wetsuit. I'm still having difficulty understanding why so many are against the OMS comfort harness system. I will be happy to try any and all gear anyone would like to send me to try out. I just want to be as thorough as I can be and weigh all my options. From other posts here on Scuba Board, I see others recommend certain types, but it seems to be off the honor system, no one is willing to send gear for trial before you buy. I guess others have used gear and found out first hand, doesn't seem to be an option for me. Maybe I should stick to my instructors recommendations, at least I have used his gear. I do appreciate all reply's but pros and cons would be best and is anyone willing to loan me there gear to try first hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom