OMS phantom 10watt HID light charging question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i recently purchaced a OMS phantom light, and it will not be used for a couple months and was just wonderin if i should keep it fully charged before storage or drain the battery while its getting stored?? Couldnt find anything bout this subject in the manual??

First off this only applies to NiCd (Nickel-Cadium) Batteries; as far as my knowledge goes.

Generally it is best to store a NiCD battery in an near discharged state for long storage.
If your battery is left in a fully charged state, the cells inside might start to crystalize, IF left like this for a long time.
It's kinda the same effect as overcharging your battery repeatedly and not discharging it

Here's an article explaining about overcharging without discharging.
Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I personally believe this to be true with any other type of rechargeable battery, but I can't find a source to support or deny this.

you probably have a sealed battery or gel cell with the phantom. Charge it fully and store it. Charge it again in about 3-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom