OMS/Faber 66's for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently use manifolded OMS 98's as my doubles for deep diving. I also stopped using h-valves on singles for recreational limit dives in favor of the doubles. The 98's are a little big for this though, and I'm thinking of getting a set of smaller tanks to supplement the 98's.

The net mass weight savings is about 26 lbs between a set of 66's and 98's. This is good for my back. The bouyancy of the d98's is neutral when empty, and the d66's are approx -3 lbs, sans manifold. The 98's are the perfect sitting height for my torso size while gearing up.

The question:

Does anyone here currently or previously dive the 66's, and if so, did you like them, hate them, or any other comment?

Jim Mims at Ocean Diving loves the twin 66's, but remember that he has the capacity to pump them up as full as he wants them. I had to use one of them once and was astounded by the size it - it damn near disappeared in the tank rack.
The LP85's which are my personal favorite only have 13 cubic feet less than the 95's at 3500psi and 15 less at 4000psi.

I've been in the realm of switching to CCR sometime in the next year. I may just save the $1000 and put it towards that endeavor. The 98's, although more than I need for rec, might just have to get me through.

I guess 288 cubic feet at 4000psi is a little much for a Tenneco dive. Well, if you opt for the Dive Rite rebreather, you'll just have to get used to twin 19's on your back. When you're not using them for diving, you can keep them on your keychain.

Tom Winters:
I guess 288 cubic feet at 4000psi is a little much for a Tenneco dive. Well, if you opt for the Dive Rite rebreather, you'll just have to get used to twin 19's on your back. When you're not using them for diving, you can keep them on your keychain.

Right on!!! :D My fill station will usually put 3000 to 3400 in the 98's. I can get two days of rec dives out of that much gas.

So far, I've been looking at the Inspiration and the Megalodon. I haven't seen anything on the DR RB yet. It will be nice to lighten the load a little though. :)

mempilot:
Right on!!! :D My fill station will usually put 3000 to 3400 in the 98's. I can get two days of rec dives out of that much gas.

So far, I've been looking at the Inspiration and the Megalodon. I haven't seen anything on the DR RB yet. It will be nice to lighten the load a little though. :)

Look at the KISS, totally self serviceable and IMHO safer. http://www.jetsam.ca/

Back
Top Bottom