OMS CHEMICALLY RESISTANT BC for PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vablackwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey All,

We are looking at upgrading and standardizing our BC's in central VA for a volunteer team. Does anyone have any hands on experiance with the OMS CHEMICALLY RESISTANT BC AND IQ PACK relative to PSD diving?

http://www.omsdive.com/bc-chem.html

As far as our general setup, we dive per ERDI guidelines. We have gone back and forth between a pony mount on the tank (Lifeguard Systems Harness) to front mount.

Any pro's/ con's would be appreciated (as well as other suggestions). We dive a mixed lot of BC's currently, and most have gravitated to our own personal back inflate types.

Thanks for your help.

John

My first thought.... Sure is shinny!

I personally think any BCD with +60lbs lift is WAY too much for single+pony configuration be it PSD or anything else.

The harness and back plate I do like though.

Of course I've never tried it but...
The urethane may not hold up well to cold and ice over time. I'd think it would eventually crack and leak into the material anyway just as too much aquaseal anywhere will be stiff and eventually leak as well.

If contamination is this much of a concern I'd suggest that you'd probably be SSA/hardhat and the replcement of an entire BCD wouldn't be a problem.

Other thought... price???

As far as pony mounts, these are the best
http://www.tigergear.com/
They cost more but are worth it IMO

I'd be reluctant to sling a pony in the front for PSD; what about weeds/entanglement/dragging through the mud?

I was a public safety diver for 10 years before opening my dive shop. I just got in some of the new chemically resistant BC's. They seem like a pretty good product for PSD diving, I agree that the wing is a little big but it isn't that big of a deal. Also they are not shiny at all like the catalog makes them out to be, they are more of a dull black than the shiny. Looks sort of like the material in a military zodiac. The ability to decon these systems seems to be a big benefit to PSD teams.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions, I have one in the store here if you are ever down this way.

Brent

Back
Top Bottom