OMS 8cuft Steel Argon bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't specify just how you're going to use the little btl. If you're considering it for an o/w waist mounted btl, the 6 cu.ft. luxfer is a much better option (its lighter). If you're considering it for tank mount then the faber st 13 cu.ft or the luxfer al 13 cu.ft btls are better choices with the luxfer being the best. Additionally, the faber 8 cu.ft btl has a really wacko valve on it. All the others use regular valves.

I have thought of going to one of the small 6 cu ft al tanks for argon but they are 3000 psi tanks. We get argon at 2400 (max) so this means never getting a full tank. My concern is multiple dive over multiple days. Currently I have a 14 cu ft 2015 psi al tank that I can get a good fill on. I just don't like mounting it on the tank. A small LP steel might do the trick.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I have thought of going to one of the small 6 cu ft al tanks for argon but they are 3000 psi tanks. We get argon at 2400 (max) so this means never getting a full tank. My concern is multiple dive over multiple days. Currently I have a 14 cu ft 2015 psi al tank that I can get a good fill on. I just don't like mounting it on the tank. A small LP steel might do the trick.

I fill all my argon btls to 2000 psi, even the small 6 cu ft al btls. This gives me about 4 cu ft in the little btl. I only use the 6 cu ft btls for o/w and sidemount diving. Both types of diving usually mean shorter dives and less deco. I have never gotten less than 2 dives out of a 6 cu ft btl filled to 2k and have sometimes gotten 3. I plan for 2 dives per btl. If you're doing multiple dives over multiple days, simply get more btls to take with you. The larger btls are way too big for waist mount.

Pirate, although I also use a 13 Luxfer, I have to agree with Mike. I see no reason why that little 8 ft steel wouldn't work fine for a tank or backplate mount.

Granted, it would be too heavy for a belt mount, but I don't do that anyway. As far as the valve, OMS lit says its a DIN, it just apparently has metric threads into the bottle. So why would that be a problem?

I wish I had seen this bottle before I bought mine.

IMO Doc, I see no drawbacks. Buoyancy looks good on the tank, and you don't take a hit by it going positive.

MD

Oh, and welcome to the board Doc :)

Pirate, you're correct - I failed to describe a mount. I do not anticipate using a waist-mount, per George Irvine's photos on the WKPP website. Instead I'm considering the arrangement shown by Uncle Pug in his photos on an earlier thread. In his case the bottle is attached to the backplate using a web loop and bungee cord set-up.

The external diameter of the 6 cuft tank is 3.21; while the OMS runs 3.58. The delta is .37", not real significant, and the overall length is approximately 11.2" in both cases. Bouyancy empty is -1.14 for the former and -1.61 for the latter, also reasonably close. Hence its really 4cuft versus about 6.+ cuft that seems to be significant.

Mike, I also currently have the Luxfer 2015 psi aluminum 14 cuft tank mounted on my doubles. I'll be diving two different sets of doubles, twin PST steel 95s and twin Luxfer aluminum 63s. The 14 cuft tank is a bit much for the 63s, and won't fit well on the backplate. So.....

I share your concern with a 6 cuft 3000psi tank that will seldom hold more than 4 cuft at argon pressures. The OMS tank, like the 2015 psi Luxfer, will generally provide better fills. Might last a weekend if, like UP, you purge from another source.

I just hadn't heard much from anyone who used this bottle. Particularly anyone who had tried it and been dissatisfied for some reason.

Mech - thanks. If I go this route you'll know how it goes.

I appreciate the responses from all. :doctor:

Doc

Doc,
I boughtthe OMS 8 ft^3 bottle, an overpressure relief valve, and an OMS 1st stage from LP. Biggest swayer in my mind was the low pressure aspect as it can be hard in my area to get argon fills at or above 3000 psi. My wife and I made a mount for it per Uncle Pug's pictures. They work together very well together. I think that you'll be happy.

Take care,

Steve

Doc,
Yes my source was LeisurePro. I should have spelled it out instead of abbreviating it "LP".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom