oman january 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeanco

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Going to Oman mid January.
Liveabord Aggressor or Mv Saman for one week (Halanyiat island)
Have other 5 days around Muscat,want diving Dimaniyat Islands.
any liveabord for 5 days?
or just day trip?

Thank.

Jean

I'd be interested to hear how the Oman Aggressor trip works out, especially after their aborted Sri Lankan operation, and I hope they have done their homework on this one as we have some "interesting " diving in the Gulf of Oman.

The only other liveaboards around here as far as I'm aware are the dhow trips from the Oman side of Dibba up into Musandam.

Damaniyats can be done from the Millennium Hotel using Oman Sail and Dive at Mussanah, about an hour's drive from Muscat.

Expect water temps around 23/24C in January

Last edited:
I'm also interested in having news and info about Oman diving advises. I'll keep watching this thread.
Thanks to all contributors.

I wonder if the Oman Aggressor is teh same boat Extra Divers used for the Halanyiat islands, which I would love to do.

I'm sceptical about the Aggressor, given that they state that the Summer temperatures in Oman will be around 30C. It won't drop that low at night, and during the day will be significantly higher. The sea will be 30C

They are publicising a Musandam schedule from Sept - Nov 2018 (although I heard they might do it this year. I'm my opinion this is a car crash waiting to happen.

The best site of the Musandam are not for the inexperienced. What makes it special are the big currents that bring plenty of fish. These currents will give anything that Indonesia has to offer a run for their money. Often down currents come from nowhere, the sea bed on the best sites is at 90-100m. I've personally been slapped down from 30m to 56m it's not funny. Hence we dive AL 80 as a pony.

If they just hit benign sites then it's just the bays, which are okay but low vis and not a great deal of action. I know this because I run and guide monthly charter trips up there and I'm very selective on who I'll take.

In Aug I start working part time for an operator because they trust my knowledge of the area - but those trips will only be 2 night trips to easy sites which would be the far end of the Aggressors route

Given they have 7 days to fill with 3-4 dives a day it could be a very dull trip - or very exciting for all the wrong reasons.

All the experienced people who know the area work out of Dibba, and it's only a handful. I wonder who will be their dive staff and how much local experience they have.

If I had $3500 to blow on the trip I'd probably go for the giggles.

An A/c dhow would run at approx $900 for 3 nights which is enough to cover all the good sights - you could spend the difference on a good time in Dubai...

thank for the response,the Saman is book for the week i was traveling so have to go with aggressor,the first trip is November so by January hope is under control.
Dove 2 years ago with aggressor in Fiji and we have a wonderful time,only 6 passengers,we were diving me and my wife with one dive master all the times!
5 days more at millennium hotel for the Damaniyats.
are there is a small live aboard for 2 or 3 days?
i will keep this thread alive and post review in February!

I hope you have a really good trip, and look forward to your review. I believe that teh Damaniyats are only served by day boats (except the Aggressor)

Unfortunately January isn't the best time. The sea temperatures will have dropped to 22C which we who live here consider to be cold (Drysuit weather for some of us) Because of this the water will be green with plankton - which is what makes the area so rich in marine life. This plankton reduces when it gets warmer.

While the area is lovely, I think it's going to be a hard sell for a commercial live-aboard to be successful.

Firstly you have the unpredictable visibility, then you have the perception of the Middle East from those who don't live here. Just look at Egypt's dive industry in the current climate and they have crystal clear water which is well known the world over.

Those of us who live here, are happy to dive the area because it's local and relatively low cost and very accessible. However if I had to spend $3000 on the liveaboard plus flights to get here etc, then I could think of a number of other places that I would put higher on the list that could be done for the same money or less.

Maldives & Indonesia would top off that list. You could guarantee good diving conditions as well as diverse marine life and better more acceptable weather, which might be higher on the list for most taking a vacation. Oman is really only for explorers wanting something different off the beaten track and are willing to put up with less than ideal visibility and wish to experience the Arab culture

well,i found space available aboard the MV Saman with Diveworlwide and i never found a direct website.
So one week in Halanyiat island with the MV Saman and the 5 other day the Millennium Hotel using Oman Sail and Dive for Damaniyats.
It booking time!
Thank everyone.
Jean

Jean

If you haven't already booked you can also stay in Muscat and get diveboats from The Wave, or Al Mouj as it's now rebranded. Oman Sail operate from there too, the distance to Dimaniyat is similar, and you will have much more to do and see in Muscat.

Bandar al Rowda has options....a little longer boat ride to Dimaniyat but closer to Bandar Khiran.

I know a new guy operating a dive operation from Seeb Marina but I don't think it's a regular everyday dive operation yet....mostly a weekend thing.

Hope you enjoy Halaniyat. Would love to go myself....great spot for Arabian Humpbacks.

All the best!

Thank,yes i am doing all booking now and was thinking to stay in Muscat ,sure more interesting night life than location where Oman sail is.

Back
Top Bottom