Olympus TG6 initial efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I purchased the Olympus TG6 a few weeks ago and I am quite excited about its macro capabilities. I use it with a Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobe, mostly in Aperture priority mode for still photography. The photographs are from Dauin in the Philippines.

An anemone shrimp:
51190167500_8dfcc89f27_c.jpg

Fire sea urchin anal bulb:
51191534927_210dbe4288_c.jpg

A very tiny goby on a sponge, next to some crustaceans.
51219656939_9f8ac7d9f8_c.jpg

The TG-6 is great for Macro. It is barely adequate for anything else, primarily due to lack of manual or shutter-priority settings.
Be advised, Klausi, the TG-6 only has two f-stops: f/2 and f/2.8 (which get smaller if you Zoom). It achieves equivalent higher f-stops by using a 3x neutral density filter, so you get the reduction in light associated with (say) f/8 but not the greater depth-of-field. The only reason the macro dof looks good is because the sensor is so small (thus the lens is so short).

Nice shots

The TG-6 is great for Macro. It is barely adequate for anything else, primarily due to lack of manual or shutter-priority settings.
Be advised, Klausi, the TG-6 only has two f-stops: f/2 and f/2.8 (which get smaller if you Zoom). It achieves equivalent higher f-stops by using a 3x neutral density filter, so you get the reduction in light associated with (say) f/8 but not the greater depth-of-field. The only reason the macro dof looks good is because the sensor is so small (thus the lens is so short).

Interesting, I didn't know that. So the f18 I can get with full Zoom is f2.8 plus a lot of filter? Do you have a link to describe the technology in detail? It sure looks like it. It's possible to trick the A priority mode into a min shutter speed, but that trick has its limits too.

Interesting, I didn't know that. So the f18 I can get with full Zoom is f2.8 plus a lot of filter? Do you have a link to describe the technology in detail? It sure looks like it. It's possible to trick the A priority mode into a min shutter speed, but that trick has its limits too.

Skip to 16:00

Back
Top Bottom