olympus stylus 710 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarcp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys i just purchased this camera today and was wondering if anybody has any experience with it. I have been trying to reaserch between the olympus housing or the ikalite in trying to find out which one to go with, any information would be great, thanks marc :14: :14: ps olympus stylus 710

Sorry, I don't know the 710 - I don't even see it listed on dpreview.com :(

But there are several recent discussions on Ikelite vs. manufacturer housings happening around here at the moment and those should help answer some initial questions!

Hi Marc. I'd go with the Ikelite. It's only $300 for your camera, and some internet discounters have it for the same as the retail on the Oly housing. You'll get way better service, have 200ft capability and access to Ikelites EV controller and strobe which are a good combo. It may be a little bigger and heavier than the Oly housing, but as Ikelite says, its nearly indestructable and if you read any posts on Ikelite service here, it's exemplary. Should give you some fun UW shooting.

I own two Olympus housings for my C4000Z cameras. They have been work horses and I use both of them constantly. I had the zoom return spring break on both of them and had to adapt without them because no parts are available other than the main O-ring. I have nothing against the housings as they have served me well and are still going strong.

Having said that I think you are better served by getting the Ikelite housing for about $100. more. For one thing, you will always be able to get parts. Another advantage is Ikelite has an adapter for that housing that will allow the attachment of 67mm lenses. It is also a more robust housing than the Olympus one.

When I eventually upgrade (who knows when) I will get the Ikelite housing for my next camera.

However I will say that I believe the internal camera flash works better on the Oly housing as the Ike one tends to block some of the flash. If you are getting a strobe then the Ike housing is not a problem.

Thank alot for the information that is great. Does anybody have experience using the model 710, im starting to wonder if it will be any good for an introductory camera. it is my first digital.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that the olympus casing should be considered ahead of the ikelite. The size consideration is substantial with a camera that small. You bought the 710 because of its size (I would guess) so why bulk it up with the big case? Having to add a strobe would further compromise your choice.

You should do well with the 710 as an introductory camera. Your next camera can be a more advanced model with the ikelite case if you like taking uw pics.

It will certainly be a good introductory model. It lacks two things to make it a truly effective underwater camera. One is manual operation. From Oly's specs, it appears that you can only shoot in auto or program auto modes. This makes your best underwater setting the scene presets for UW macro, UW wide and UW wide 2. It limits your control over how the camera reacts to changes in the UW environment. The other thing it lacks is a manual white balance. You will have to either depend on the UW scene mode to set your WB or use the overcast WB and hope it looks OK or adjust it in photoshop. Otherwise, the Oly Stylus series takes very acceptable UW photos for the casual photographer. If you are serious about shooting underwater and want more control, you might consider using your Stylus topside and getting yourself an SP-350 or a Canon A-640. The SP will give you full manual control and can be had for about $450 right now, including an Oly housing. If you choose the Ike, it would be $199 for the camera and about $400 for the housing.

xlites.gif

I'll second what Larry C states.

Manual controls are a must underwater. I overlooked that your camera did not have them when I suggested the Ikelite housing.

If you decide on gettting a housing for your camera you may be better served getting the less expensive Oly one and an "Auto Magic Filter" to compensate for your cameras lack of a manual white balance setting.

I think you will eventually be disappionted with that cameras results underwater and will want to upgrade to a camera with which you will have full control over.

Thanks guys i went with the olympus housing for now it sounds like it will do the job for now and maybe next year i will upgrade the camera. I think half the reason i ordered the olympus housing is that i can get it by tuesday and i leave on wednesday to go to cozumel, thanks again for the info.

I've got the 710 w/ Oly housing and love it. It is easy to use and compact. I clip it to my bc when I'm guiding for those just in case moments. With practice, you'll find it a very capable camera. Take a lot of photos often so that you can figure out its range and capabilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom