Olympus sp-320 vs. Nikon Coolpix 7600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaduba

Reaction score
I currently use an Olympus 3040 with Light & Motion Tetra housing which works great. I'm looking to get a second camera for my wife to use while diving. I don't need top of the line but want good image quality, easy to use (both on land and underwater) and be small in size (for use on land).

I know Ikelite makes a housing for the Nikon 7600 and the make a housing for the Oly sp310 which seems to be the same size ast the 320.

Any comments from anybody who has used these cameras would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Don't know about the Nikon. The SP-310 and the newer, updated 320 are the same basic product as the SP-350 described ad nauseum in a nearby thread. You get one less megapixel. Right now, I'd just get the SP-350 as Oly is discounting them down to very near the same price as the lower model. You can pick one up at B & H and elsewhere for under $200 after $50 rebate. Oly and Ikelite both make cases. The Ikelite is stronger, pricier and will go deeper. It will also work with non Oly ttl strobe systems. The Oly housing can be had for under $200, and will only work with Oly ttl flashes (not the best underwater) or a slave strobe. If you dive past recreational limits or plan on a topline strobe, go for the Ikelite housing. It will also ease your lens choices. I have the Oly housing and am very happy with it, although Gulfcost Diver (see flooded camera post) would probably disagree. I'm sure you can find plenty of posts on the 7600 in the Nikon owners area. All of the pics in my gallery were taken with the SP-350. I'm a rather rank newbie so, as they say, your results may vary.

Thanks. What I like about the Nikon 7600 is how small it is.

They are getting tiny. I was looking at the new Oly all weather models (Stylus 720SW). They're tiny and waterproof to 10 ft. without a housing. How's that for flood insurance. The only funky thing is that the lens is right on the top edge and in the pictures appears flat at the top. But they're 7.1mp w/2.5"screen. $399 retail on the camera, $299 on the housing. I'm still quite happy with my SP, but I have to admit it's a load in your shirt pocket.

Back
Top Bottom