Olympus 4040 ----- Newbie Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a totally newbie in this field, so any inputs will be appreciated.

I plan to get into UW photography arena. Yahoo!!!

My sister has Olympus 4040 (as I remember. Please let me know if there are any other models in 4 mega level) and she didn’t use it anymore due to its bulky design. Yes, she likes a compact and handy design. So, I am thinking to get her camera for my UW usage.

Do you think it is a good start? I know that this camera has been released almost 4 years ago. I am not sure if this camera was regarded as an obsolete one? Nothing is free, so if I get hers, I need to pay for it no matter what she uses it or not.

If it is ok, what housing do you recommend? Based on my research, many people use either PT-010 or Ikalite, maybe Tetra?

How about the wide angle lenses?

If I had better have the new set, which camera do you recommend for the non-professional photographer? I prefer the versatile and non bulky design that can be used on land. Currently, I have Nikon Coolpix 3500 that is a kind of odd design.

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
Hey,

I am a totally newbie in this field, so any inputs will be appreciated.

I plan to get into UW photography arena. Yahoo!!!

My sister has Olympus 4040 (as I remember. Please let me know if there are any other models in 4 mega level) and she didn’t use it anymore due to its bulky design. Yes, she likes a compact and handy design. So, I am thinking to get her camera for my UW usage.

Do you think it is a good start? I know that this camera has been released almost 4 years ago. I am not sure if this camera was regarded as an obsolete one? Nothing is free, so if I get hers, I need to pay for it no matter what she uses it or not.

If it is ok, what housing do you recommend? Based on my research, many people use either PT-010 or Ikalite, maybe Tetra?

How about the wide angle lenses?

If I had better have the new set, which camera do you recommend for the non-professional photographer? I prefer the versatile and non bulky design that can be used on land. Currently, I have Nikon Coolpix 3500 that is a kind of odd design.

Thanks in advance,

I use the oly 5050, the successor to the 4040. The 5050 is also obsolete, and the 5060 is soon to be.

The 4040 was a very good camera for UW photography. But if she is making you pay for it, I would go with a new setup. You will find housings hard to get, and the extra you will pay for a discontinued housing will probably almost pay for new camera.

As far as recommendations, if you are looking for "versatile, non bulky that can be used on land" many people like the Canon A95. My suggestion is to browse the Oly, Canon, and Nikon forum for ideas, then go to an electronics store to touch and feel the cameras you put on your short list.

One thing to consider is batteries. Many people prefer cameras that take AA batteries, since they are easy to replace or borrow (even rechargeables) when on a trip. Make sure you get a camera that takes at least 4 AAs, since battery life is one of the biggest concerns when doing UW digital.

Once you do some homework, post again with more specific questions and the folks on this board will be glad to answer.

I have the Olympus C4000Z with the PT-010 housing and recently bought an WA lens. I haven't used the lens u/w but so far, I like the setup I have. It's not the newest out there, but it works. There's another diver on this board, the Kyak Diver who uses the same rig with BEAUTIFUL results. Scoll through the threads, he's always around.

I use the 4040 as my main setup as I have an expensive housing (L&M) and it won't hold anything else...

I also have a 5050 in a PT015 housing and "WAS" considering getting an Ikelite housing to replace the PT015 as I find it hard to make adjustments with gloves on in cold water - Seattle, WA....

But now I'm seeing the 7070 for about the same pricing the 5050 and 5060 were going for and about the same size, apparently very similiar in size.. Ikelite will house them both with a small adjustment pad. L&M has to make a whole new one apparently... heheh.. go figure...

So my thinking is now to get a 7070 with an Ikelite housing...

You might have a problem finding a housing for the 4040... so that, on top of having to 'Buy it" from "good Ole Sis"... I'd take a good look at the 7070 and depending upon where you are - warmer waters.. but still take a look at the Ikelite housing..

The 4040 is still good (I also have a backup for WHEN #1 gets trashed), getting good shots etc and is still my main man, but??? heheheh.. that 7070 is looking 'prudy' good...
Hope that helps..
Good luck eh...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom