Olympus 12-50mm wet lens tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrMagica

Registered
Reaction score
After losing my multipurpose 14-42mm I have replaced it with a Olympus 12-50mm (on an EPL2). I really like to be able to shoot a variety of wide angle and macro - the 14-42mm wasn't very good at either but was a start!
The 12-50mm macro mode seems fantastic on land, however no zoom gear for the olympus housing so that's out of the question (unless macro only dive).

Would like to get some responses on this - it's a common setup, the 12-50mm is thought to be a great multi lens for m43 and I know others out there would be interested in how to get the best out of it.

This brings me onto wet lenses. I will pick up a S&S diopter... I'd also like a wide angle adaptor although I think these are often frowned upon so might have to make do with 24mm equiv.

-Please give me your experiences with this lens - especially with added wet lenses? (pictures are nice!)
-How do the diopters perform on this lens: on standard mode and macro? How would a diopter fare on non macro mode 12-50mm (eg, 1:1?)
- +5 or +10 diopter (pictures appreciated!)
- Wide angle wet lens - yes or no? Why are these totally acceptable for something like the RX100 but not a good option on a m43 12-50mm.

I have to say I've enjoyed this camera as a travel camera and use underwater. However seems the wide angle options are far to expensive for lenses. I do wonder whether I should just swap to a RX100 or S100 as it seems that sensor size really follows quite low after strobes, and lens, and I don't want to dive shooting a specific type (I like to photograph my pygmy sea horses along with the wreck!). Everyone pretty much shoots at ISO 100-200 anyway so I think that mitigates some of the bigger sensor gains! Here I hope the 12-50mm will make me a bit happier.

FYI I have seen a zoom gear out of Europe that would work with the olympus housings and the 12-50 lens. It was a third party gear

FYI I have seen a zoom gear out of Europe that would work with the olympus housings and the 12-50 lens. It was a third party gear

Do you have a link? Wondering if I have seen it already

Sorry don't have one handy would have to go looking for it again. Believe it was on here or wetpixel that I saw it originally though

Yes I have already found zoom gear, What I meant is no gear to put this lens into macro mode which is more complicated. FYI I made my own zoom gear for about $3 from parts from a DIY store. Put that won't put it into mac mode and this would be totally impossible on the olympus housing.

I have the 12-50 lens on omd em5. It's great on land but I hardly use it underwater (yet). I have a dedicated 60mm macro for macro dives and 8mm Panasonic fisheye for wide angle dives. The problem I found with this lens is I would swim around all dive not being able to decide what size subject to shoot! Sometimes a bit of restriction allows you to concentrate on one shooting style for one dive. Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have the 12-50 lens on omd em5. It's great on land but I hardly use it underwater (yet). I have a dedicated 60mm macro for macro dives and 8mm Panasonic fisheye for wide angle dives. The problem I found with this lens is I would swim around all dive not being able to decide what size subject to shoot! Sometimes a bit of restriction allows you to concentrate on one shooting style for one dive. Just my opinion of course.

That's true, quite nice to have a focused dive. However being form the UK I don't get so many dives to play with through the year, and I can think of quite a few dives I'm searching for Nudi's, juvenile frog fish or blue ring octopus and I see a grey reef shark, giant grouper or similar appear out of no where!

So you don't have the Nauticam housing? Nauticam has the port that gives you full function of the 12-50 and macro all for only $800. That is what I went with and it can house the 60 mm macro - you will need an adapter from 67mm to the 77mm of the port for diopter or get Nauticam's flip holder.

Back
Top Bottom