Oly XZ-1 and Sea & Sea YS-D1: Pix From Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randallr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from an enjoyable trip to Bonaire (trip report is posted on that forum), and thought I'd post here some of the first photographic fruits from my evolved rig. I'm shooting with an Oly XZ-1 in the PT-050 housing. The main strobe is the Sea & Sea YS-D1; I'm using my older Oly UFL-1 as a fill. This was my first time shooting with the strobes in manual, rather than TTL, a fact impelled by my discovery that the YS-D1 is not TTL compatible with the XZ-1. Although I still have a lot to learn, especially on shooting successful wide angle shots, I got some decent photos. I'm posting a bunch here, and I'd welcome feedback and critiques.

Attachments

• Trunkfish.jpeg
    Trunkfish.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Sponge.jpeg
    Sponge.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Sergeant Major Guarding the Nest.jpeg
    Sergeant Major Guarding the Nest.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Scorpionfish Portrait.jpeg
    Scorpionfish Portrait.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Hilma Hooker.jpeg
    Hilma Hooker.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Lionfish.jpeg
    Lionfish.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Snapper School.jpeg
    Snapper School.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Hiding Out.jpeg
    Hiding Out.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Frogfish.jpeg
    Frogfish.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 116
  • Fireworm 2.jpeg
    Fireworm 2.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Fireworm 1.jpeg
    Fireworm 1.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Fairy Basslet.jpeg
    Fairy Basslet.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Creole Wrasse.jpeg
    Creole Wrasse.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Coral Imitating Jackson Pollack.jpeg
    Coral Imitating Jackson Pollack.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Cleaning Station.jpg
    Cleaning Station.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Christmas Tree Worms.jpeg
    Christmas Tree Worms.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Blennie.jpeg
    Blennie.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Bigeye 2.jpg
    Bigeye 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Bigeye 1.jpeg
    Bigeye 1.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 94
Just curious about the TTL compatibility remarks.

The Ys-D1 has 2 different TTL modes. It "should" work in slave TTL Mode where the flash simply mimics the onboard flash.

Does this not work? What type of results do you get?

Just curious about the TTL compatibility remarks.

The Ys-D1 has 2 different TTL modes. It "should" work in slave TTL Mode where the flash simply mimics the onboard flash.

Does this not work? What type of results do you get?

Sea&Sea's compatibility chart lists the combo of XZ-1 and YS-01 or YS-D1 (and I believe the older YS-110a too) as "impossible" for TTL.

Sea&Sea's compatibility chart lists the combo of XZ-1 and YS-01 or YS-D1 (and I believe the older YS-110a too) as "impossible" for TTL.
The chart you linked to indicates the XZ-1 and YS-D1 as "possible" for SlaveTTL mode and "impossible" for DS-TTLII mode.
I am uncertain what the exact difference is between these 2 TTL modes.
so my question still stands (plus maybe some one could describe the difference between these 2 TTL modes?)
Cheers...

There's an answer on this other thread about the difference between the two TTL modes. Basically, it sounds like one is more sophisticated than the other but not compatible with all cameras. I jumped the gun a bit with my first link since I assumed the situation with the YS-D1 was the same as with the YS-01. My bad.

There's an answer on this other thread about the difference between the two TTL modes. Basically, it sounds like one is more sophisticated than the other but not compatible with all cameras. I jumped the gun a bit with my first link since I assumed the situation with the YS-D1 was the same as with the YS-01. My bad.
Thanks for the link! Always learnin'. And I am quite skeptical of people / companies who claim the strobe does the TTL!

To the best of my knowledge, S&S has not produced a strobe with a light sensor since one of the last YS90 models. So in reality, they are just slaves. The INON z240 does have a light sensor with a mode where it tries to do on-board TTL.

I sympathize a bit since I am stuck with a pair of YS110s. The optical TTL setting works perfectly for about 90% of the conditions I experience. 10% of the time the TTL is crap. Shallow sand bottoms are never a good thing - they give me pink sand. On top of that, the optical trigger is not 100% accurate. So the strobes have 2 issues. Caveat emptor.

BUT: I converted my camera to wired manual synch and the strobes work perfectly. Happy camper! Very fast cycle time, lots of light. Unfortunately my camera hot shoe is not capable of TTL, so I have a manual future ahead of me until the strobes kick the bucket.

you have some nice pics there! makes me want to go back to Bonaire. last time we were there, most of the big green moray eels were gone. they still have a serious lionfish problem?

Back
Top Bottom