OLY mft Wide/Tele Lens Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am happily shooting an EM-5 in an Oly EP08 housing. I have the 14-42mm lens because it came with it. I can't say I am thrilled with it's performance (edges often not as sharp as center), but the zoom range (w/ the zoom ring) is of course useful. Does someone have a better moderate zoom lens suggestion in a reasonable ($500 or less) price range?

I've sort of asked this question before but found the 12-40mm Oly Pro is out of my budget range. I have heard the 12-50mm Oly EZ is an ok lens but you can't zoom it, just flip it between 12mm or 50mm unless you lash on a Nauticam $$$ zoom ring. (Is this correct, no real zooming in an Oly housing?)

I also have the 60mm Macro and the 9-18mm (but just the standard port). Anyone shooting a solution they are happy with for a moderate zoom? I can live with the 14-42mm results if I have to but... // ww

I have heard the 12-50mm Oly EZ is an ok lens but you can't zoom it, just flip it between 12mm or 50mm unless you lash on a Nauticam $$$ zoom ring. (Is this correct, no real zooming in an Oly housing?)

Perhaps,

Deepshots Olympus 12-50 Zoom Gear

That said every time I read the technical reviews of the 12-50mm Olympus lens I'm not convinced the image quality is a significant improvement with respect to the 14-42mm lens.

Edit: correction for focal lengths

Last edited:
VSC--The magic of 3D printers! Well, interesting option. And I assume you meant the 12-50mm compared to the 14-42mm Oly? Haven't heard raves about the 12-50mm so maybe other than slight focal length increase I wouldn't see any improvement in overall sharpness or performance? Thanks for the input, had no idea a lower cost zoom ring was available. // ww

Typo. Yes 14-42mm.

There are multiple reviews but this is an example site which shows the performance is not that different. Lateral CA remains a concern.

Micro Four Thirds Lens Tests

I have heard good things about the relatively inexpensive Panasonic 12-32. I am not sure what Olympus port it would fit in, but it is an option if there is a suitable port. From what I understand it is a "better" lens than the 12-50, but without the macro function of the 12-50.

12mm doesn't sound like much wider than 14, but it is a noticeable difference. Hope this is helpful.

VSC--I had checked those test results a ways back. The tests sure don't rave about the 12-50 but if it were even modestly better I might consider it. JD, I would be happy with 12mm vs 14mm even if in a flat port those edges get cramped. I'll see what I can find out about the Panny, hopefully there would not be a port issue. Thanks! // ww

I think you need to compare the MTF results for both lenses, perhaps using the results for 14 vs 12 and 45 vs 50. This set of data appears to show that the 14-42mm is either ahead in its response or in one corner case only slightly behind.

I think the least expensive option would be to buy a Zen 9-18 dome port for your 9-18mm lens. Shooting it behind a flat port is like having one arm tied behind your back. The performance is quite good, much wider, sharper corners and closer focus. Otherwise you can look at the 8mm FE, but it's a more expensive idea.

4626026284_9b97161a89_z.jpg

Jack:

You brought up 8mm FE lenses.... With respect to the two (autofocus) options that are available I'm attracted to the faster Olympus lens for above water indoor available light, though the principle reason I would get a FE is for underwater use. Do you see any downsides to the Olympus for CFWA underwater use?

I should add that I looked at the 9-18mm Olympus and its performance is very reasonable, though it is rather slow. Getting away from a flat port as you suggested is critical to realize the lens's potential.

Last edited:
Fisheye lenses in general have sort of a limited use above water. I think the Olympus 8mm f1.8 is an awesome uw lens, especially for CFWA or available light, wrecks, etc. The OP stated he already had the 9-18mm, which is a better general purpose lens for above and uw use. But I agree it is a bit slow.

I wrote a review and pics I took with the Oly 8mm. I think it really extends the m4/3rds platform as then you can use lower ISOs and get better dynamic range.

See:
Olympus MZ 8mm Fisheye PRO Lens Underwater Review

EM1-8mmFE-10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom