Oly E410 and other thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
As a long time Nikon F (I have four mechanical Nikon F series SLRs) series SLR amateur photographer I fully understand the workings of a real SLR and also their disadvantage underwater--the huge, bulky housing that has to be fussed with and carried and all of that. I hate housed SLRs which is why I used a Nikonos and will get another since I stupidly sold mine for some strange reason.:dork2:

However, I am in the market for a dedicated system--sorta--thinking Nikon P5000 with Ikelite and INON 165AD lens etc.

So, my question, I have seen that Olympus has a miniture SLR called the E410. Is anyone making a smaller and less bulky housing for that camera?

Not interested in macro critter pics, they severely bore me, I like the big picture--wide angle--divers interacting with the marine environment type pics etc.

I am working on putting this together with my allownace now but realize the shortcomings of the Oly 770 and PT035 housing compareed to the Nikon P5000 with Ikelite.I want to get a strobe that will work with both and hopefuly be able to use that INON 165 lens with both with good results.

gfx_01744.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

N

1 - I have several Nik Vs in perfect nick sitting on my shelf if you want to go back to film :wink:

2 - you're going to want two strobes to do the types of photos you are thinking of. You can do them with a single strobe, I did for a great while, but you will be limited (and sometimes very frustrated). The second strobe is worth it.

As well as the options in your post, the SeaTool housings are SWEET - tiny, sexy, fully functional, sexy. A boon for those who want a dslr without the bulk underwater.

alcina:
1 -

As well as the options in your post, the SeaTool housings are SWEET - tiny, sexy, fully functional, sexy. A boon for those who want a dslr without the bulk underwater.

took the word wright out of my mouth. one thing to be cautious cameras like the Nikon D-40 and the Oly E410 is that there are a limited number of lenses. i think that there are only 12 lenses avalible for the D-40 and as for the oly E410 it has a 4/3 sized sensor in it which also limits the lenses you can use for it. and they will only work on 4/3 cameras. if you are used to the nikon cameras u might think of the D-80 it is also much smaller that the F and i think sea tool make a housing for this i this that it has a foot print the size of a dollar bill like that of the Rebel XT.

Nemrod: Suggest you read great reviews by Phil Rudin @ Wetpixel. He and I have disagreed on a few things but he's clearly got more experience so I have no choice but to listen. He's pretty positive on the E-410.

There's a review at the link below, and considerable discussion of both it and the E-330 and other Oly dSLRs in the Forums.

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/olympus-e-410-dslr-and-pt-e03-underwater-housing/

To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge (note: I do not own nor have I dove with an E-410; I have an E-330 I have not yet housed):

I have seen that Olympus has a miniture SLR called the E410. Is anyone making a smaller and less bulky housing for that camera?

I'm not sure what you would consider "less bulky". Olympus makes their own housing for it which is pretty form-fitting, allows for port exchanges to take advantage of lens offerings, and has the added benefit of allowing the internal flash to extend, which many other housings for dSLRs usually do not do. So even without an external flash you could get started, but more importantly you are wide open for using 'optically coupled' flashes (via Ike's EV controller, or fiber optic sensors) vs. Olympus's proprietary TTL (the housing does include the hotshoe for Olympus TTL; you just don't have to use it, or could also add an Athena converter that permits use of more standard TTL). Basically you can't get the housing any smaller than the camera, and the port "bulk" is going to be somewhat dependent on the type of shots. See below.

Not interested in macro critter pics, they severely bore me, I like the big picture--wide angle--divers interacting with the marine environment type pics etc.

From what I understand this desire is going to point you toward wider angle lenses such as the fixed 8mm fisheye, or the 7-14 (very expensive but very highly regarded Zuiko lens for the Oly 4:3 system), and an 8" dome port, both of which can tend to be 'bulky'. Plus for WA if you are shooting with other than natural light you'll need or want dual strobes on longer arms.

As for the later poster indicating that there are only a 'few' lenses available, frankly I think that's bull. How many lens options do you NEED underwater? You've said you're not interested in macro, so fixed 50, 60, 110, etc. mm need not apply. The newer kit lenses that can be bought with the Oly's give you a 14-42 range (28 - 84 equivalent for non-4:3rds 35mm systems), there's a very highly regarded "high grade" 14-54 also available (this is what I have on my E-330 and it's an impressive piece of optics at both ends of the range), and with the 8mm fisheye and 7-14 available there's great wide angle offerings too. Since you'll probably need a different port for each one, I can't see why even a diver interested in both WA and macro would want/need more than 4 or 5 lenses, so beyond that who cares "how many" there are available beyond that?? It's not like you'll be trying to use a 50-300mm telephoto zoom underwater. :wink:

Check out www.four-thirds.org for the real skinny on the 4/3rds system lenses. There are plenty; more than there are ports for using them underwater.

I don't know if the Oly housing can use the Inon lens or not (I suspect you'd go with a dedicated WA lens and port on the camera vs. the Inon external add-on), but given the freedom it offers for flash operation I'm certain you could come up with a strobe for both it and your Nikon P5000.

Back
Top Bottom