Oly c-750 or c-5050 please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
Looking to get a camera for Xmas. I'd like a nice digital for diving. I see great pics with the 750 and great pics w the 5050. Which is better for general purose, vacations, and diving?

I see the 750 has the kick ass zoom, but I read about bad focus in low light, and blurred zoomed shots. Would I need an added zoom lens for the 5050 (I'm good with that) to get good shots, or is 3X zoom enough? It's macro focus sounds great for diving, and it has amazing quality.

Also the 5050 is being discontinued. Should this be a non plus? I'm thinking Olympus would still support it if I have problems?

Advice?

You can only zoom just so far underwater and still use the internal or external strobe. Strobe power is limited to around 4 or 5 feet, less witht the internal one, which I use.
Zooming far without using a strobe, even in clear water as here on Maui will result in "digital noise" on the photos when you clean them up in Photoshop or the like. I don't think you can zoom long distances through water without getting "digital noise". That has been my experience so far.
Maybe someone with more expertise on that will chime in here.
I would go with the 5050 for underwater.

I just contemplated the same question as I have been using a C700 for several years and liked the zoom for my daughter's soccer shots. I'm just getting into underwater photography, and after evaluating everything, decided the 5050 was the better way to go for UW. It's a really nice camera and I'm still getting familiar with it out of water before trying it in the housing that just came today.
:)

I just purchased a 5050 with a olympus housing and YS 90DX strobe and used it for the first time today. I had a great time and actually managed some decent pictures.......at least to me:D Im still foggy on shutter speed, aperture settings and strobe settings as far as when and what use for certain conditions and distance. I still have a lot of reading and questions to ask but overall i dont regret my decision on my set up and look forward to learning more about it. :D

Back
Top Bottom