Oly 5060 My Mode / Flash Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverace

Reaction score
OK, I'm on day 2 with this camera and here is the setup. Oly 5060, Ikelight housing and DS125 strobe. Here is my problem, which happens inside or outside of the housing: The flash setting turns to off or no flash, although it is set to slow1 and external in Mymode. I cannot change the flash setting to slow1 (won't let you pick that option) UNLESS the external flash is connected and ON. That means that I must turn the flash on and adjust the flash setting to slow1 after the camera is in the housing and the flash is on, even though the configuration was saved in mymode1 originally with the slow1 setting. This is an extra task that I didn't think I would have to do with my mode.

Is anyone else having this problem? I've saved the configuration with the camera in the housing, and that still does not fix the problem.

I'm heading out on a liveaboard Saturday and looking forward to using this camera. It seems strange going from the Nikonos V to a housed camera but I'm getting used to it.

Thanks,

Diverace

Thanks to Peter at Splashdown Divers, he found a way around it. I had to turn the flash on first, then the camera, go in to mymode, change the flash setting from "none" to "slow1" and then save the mode again. Saving the configuration with the flash "on" did the trick. I just have to remember to turn the flash on first from now on.

Thanks for your help.

Diverace

I think this needs to go in the Tips and Techniques. I'm sure others may run into the same problem.

diverace:
Thanks to Peter at Splashdown Divers, he found a way around it. I had to turn the flash on first, then the camera, go in to mymode, change the flash setting from "none" to "slow1" and then save the mode again. Saving the configuration with the flash "on" did the trick. I just have to remember to turn the flash on first from now on.
That's strange because with 'External only' flash selected you should still be able to select a flash mode in the menu (e.g. Slow in M mode, Lightning symbol in P, etc.) regardless of whether you have an external flash or strobe connected to the hotshoe (and turned on). In this case, if the external flash is not connected or turned on, all the camera will do is ignore external flash and fire the camera's built-in flash (even though you have 'External only' selected in the flash menu).

The moment you connect and turn on an external flash or strobe that has correctly implemented Olympus' TTL protocol then it'll simply disable the camera's built-in flash and fire the external flash or strobe instead.

You should not have to do this any particular sequence i.e. turn the external flash or strobe on first then turn the camera on. For the protection of your camera and external flash you should not connect or remove the flash with either or both turned on. Always switch both OFF before doing this.

ReyeR:
That's strange because with 'External only' flash selected you should still be able to select a flash mode in the menu (e.g. Slow in M mode, Lightning symbol in P, etc.) regardless of whether you have an external flash or strobe connected to the hotshoe (and turned on). In this case, if the external flash is not connected or turned on, all the camera will do is ignore external flash and fire the camera's built-in flash (even though you have 'External only' selected in the flash menu).

The moment you connect and turn on an external flash or strobe that has correctly implemented Olympus' TTL protocol then it'll simply disable the camera's built-in flash and fire the external flash or strobe instead.

You should not have to do this any particular sequence i.e. turn the external flash or strobe on first then turn the camera on. For the protection of your camera and external flash you should not connect or remove the flash with either or both turned on. Always switch both OFF before doing this.
Not necessarily..

Olympus cameras can operate with external, internal or both, just turning on the external flash should not disable the internal flash..

I agree, ALWAYS shut off the camera and strobes before disconnecting!
I have also found using an Olympus Fl-40 flash on land, the camera worked more consistently with the flash turned on first.

Olympus cameras can operate with external, internal or both, just turning on the external flash should not disable the internal flash..
Agreed, but if you have 'External only' selected and you connect and turn on an external flash (or strobe) that has CORRECTLY implemented the Olympus flash protocol then the camera's internal flash will not fire (under any circumstance). If there is a communication problem between the camera and external flash then the camera will default to firing the camera's flash, even if you have 'External only' selected in the menu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom