Olumpus SP350 - Final decision...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

After looking at a lot of postings here, and doing some research at dpreview.com and at the local camera shop I have decided on the Olympus SP350.

The other contenders were the Canon S80 and the Canon A620.

I chose the SP350 based on the fact that it is able to shoot in RAW along with the wider lens, the cheaper price and the better rating of the Olympus housing vs. the Canon.

Good decision? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

The SP350 does NOT have a "wider lens" than the S80. The SP350 has a 38 (?)mm (35mm equiv) vs the S80's 28mm (35 mm equiv).

I went back and forth on this one -- ordered the SP350 last Sept. but, when I found out it was backordered, cancelled it. I bought the S80 a few weeks ago. I'm still hoping I made "the right choice" AND hoping someone hacks the S80 to get RAW!

Have fun and take LOTS of pics.

You cannot go wrong with either camera. A very knowledgable photographer told me that it wasn't the camera but the photographer that made the difference. Both cameras have strengths and weaknesess and you must learn to exploit one while minimizing the other.

I chose the Canon S80 because I was more interested in the wider angle than RAW. I am going to use the Ikelite housing instead of the Cannon housing. The Ikelite is about $100 more and you have access to all of the controls.

Wish you well on your camera hunting. It can be daunting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom