olumpus 4040 $299-used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwickert

Reaction score
I sort of hate to do this again, :34: but I guess it worked out well the first time, so here goes.

I know how much time a person can put in looking for the best price, and how many shady companies there are out there.

B&H has an olympus 4040 for $299, they say this camera has some wear, but with a pt-10, you might get out for close to $500.

For a couple hundred more, maybe a bit less, you could get a 5050.

Just posting an option, hopefully, once I am done ordering my housing, :blinkinge I can stop looking at internet camera sites.

Ken

Are you getting any warranty on the 4040? You can get a refurb C4000Z for around $300 with a 90 day warranty. Do a comparison of the features between the 4000 and the 4040. The 4000 has less features overall. But perhaps you don't need those features? For example the 4000 does not allow for use of the remote control on land and the 4040 does. The 4000 has super macro and the 4040 does not. The built in flash does not fire in super macro nor can you activate an external strobe in super macro on the 4000. You can on the 5050.
It's not just the cost as they are close. It's the features you want to look at.
I used my C2040 quite a bit and I noticed some of the LED controls are fading out both on the top indicator window (C4000 has no top window) and in the monitor indicator. My zoom indicator has vanished off the monitor indicator. The zoom works but the indicator graph is gone. The top indicator window is about 50% faded out. All those controls still work and can also be viewed in the monitor.
My point here is not to spend too much money on these consumer level cameras. If you use them a lot they will likely wear out sooner than later. At $300. or less I don't think they are worth repairing. I certainly won't spend a penny on fixing that C2040Z.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom