Question Older regulators good enough for winter quarry diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For first stages I have Conshelf XIV (non sealed) or Sherwood Brut with dry bleed. I don’t plan on ice diving but the quarry water temperature is around 40 F. I have metal Conshelf second stages. Do I need to look elsewhere for a first stage that can work in this water or is what I have good enough? I’m already set with drysuit and undergarments, but overlooked this bit for local Michigan/Ohio diving.

The only thing exposed on the Conshelf first is the spring. The dry kit is as rare as hen's teeth and so is the one for the Titan which also would work on the Conshelf. You could pack the spring chamber with silicone grease through the hex key hole each couple of dives.

James

Where I dive I’ve seen people run unsealed Poseidon Cyklons (old 3960s and such) in low 30s water temps without issues even though Poseidon recommends the vodka-filled environmental cap for anything colder than 50. I’m sure an unsealed Connie will be just fine in 40F.

For first stages I have Conshelf XIV (non sealed) or Sherwood Brut with dry bleed. I don’t plan on ice diving but the quarry water temperature is around 40 F. I have metal Conshelf second stages. Do I need to look elsewhere for a first stage that can work in this water or is what I have good enough? I’m already set with drysuit and undergarments, but overlooked this bit for local Michigan/Ohio diving.
Unfortunately, the most annoying answer is the right one.
It depends.
A very calm, good breathing person can use pretty much any regulator in 40 degree water.
An excited open water student can freeflow an Apeks in 50 degree water.
If all goes well, it will be fine.
If things go poorly, it might not.

The Conshelf XIV uses the famous brass and chrome all metal USD 108530 second stage, a simple downstream design. The first stage design is a diaphragm type and ubiquitous through the AL line up to this day.

I might suggest dropping the IP to approximately 125 psi. The 108530 second stage:

James

I think you'll be fine with either of those 1st stages, although the Sherwood is a sealed design so that might be a better choice. You couldn't get a better choice for the 2d stages.

They are good, one of my buddies used to dive conshelves and bruts in this temps even lower. If they are serviced well there should be no issues. I dove my mk5 and 15 in 39F water in Georgian Bay :) The are not cold water regs and not sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom