Older Ranger wing on backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sleepdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

I tried searching this topic, with no success. My Ranger's wing is apparently an older style. It has a single bottom dump on the left side, and is attached to the vest by straps on the left wing cover running through triglides on the right cover. As part of my re-entrance into diving, I'd like to try a backplate system out. Eventually my plan is to keep the Ranger around with either the 44lb or a smaller wing as backup/buddy gear.

Has anyone successfully mounted an old Ranger wing to a Zeagle or other brand backplate? My gear acquisition in the last 2 months has hit critical spousal acceptance level, such that I can get a plate but likely not an entirely new rig (otherwise I would just grab a whole new BP/W). The newer Z wings attach differently, needing only a few bolts and appropriate holes in the BP.

If it's a nogo, that's not the end of the world. I'll just wait longer - not going to sell the Ranger to get a BP (see above comment about building set of backup gear).

Thanks in advance.

all wings made for backplates attach either via two sex bolts/the doubles bolts at an 11 inch center, thank you dive rite, or they attach in with cam bands depending on the backplate. You'd have to post a picture of this zeagle wing for us to see.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, ILThat's $360 for a complete bp/w and it's high quality equipment. I was about to say you won't beat that, but then I found this
buy Dive Rite Travel EXP Package at northeastscubasupply.com - Backplate and Wings - Backplate and Wing Packages -- Save Big!!!! - Dive Rite Travel EXP Package - Northeast Scuba SupplySave $60 if you only need an AL backplate instead of a SS. Depends on your weighting needs. The travel wing also doesn't need an STA which is personal preference

Thanks for your reply. The Zeagle wings attach a little differently from typical wing/donuts. Zeagle plates are able to accept both standard wings/STAs and the wings from their back-inflate BCs.

Newer Zeagle bladders have metal glides on both inner sides of the wings. A piece of webbing running between them attaches to the soft backpack of Zeagle BCs. Their backplanes have extra holes drilled, and a set of stainless mounting bolts/nylon nuts can attach the wing through the metal glides.

1st image, note the metal glides inside the wing:

2nd image, extra holes drilled, in pairs. Look above the Z logo, just outboard of the cam strap slots, and another set farther out (outside holes for doubles mounting, inside for singles):

My bladder is older. In the pictures, I slid a dowel under the webbing to show the difference. On the right side are smaller metal glides. Straps on the left are sewn in, passing to the right side.

View attachment 108005View attachment 108004View attachment 108003 2011-11-13115209.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-11-13115120.jpg
    2011-11-13115120.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 115
  • pro_zoom_47.jpg
    pro_zoom_47.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 117
  • pro_zoom_1027.jpg
    pro_zoom_1027.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Sew a panel inside the horseshoe

can't see the attachments, but I'd just get one of those packages I listed and be done with it. Both are very reputable dealers and the products are top notch as well. A set of backup gear doesn't help you without a second wing since the wing is the first to go on a harness

Weird - I can't figure out how to make all attachments show up at once in the proper locations.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll of course eventually end up with a second dedicated rig. My hope was to find a way to trial this wing on a backplate. If I liked it, I would then buy another proper wing for the backplate or a smaller wing for the Ranger. My whole "second" rig still is being put together, consisting currently only of a spare regulator. Temporary use of the Ranger wing on a backplate isn't a problem in that respect, and would allow me to see which direction I wanted to go. If I could make this trial work successfully and liked the BPW, then the wing on the Ranger would also serve as a backup wing for my primary BPW. I don't have the storage space to have an entire set of backup primary gear AND a set of buddy gear. This way, it would be possible to cannibalize the buddy gear as needed.

Sewing a panel into the horseshoe is an interesting idea... I could also perhaps use a panel that fastens to a plate's sex bolt holes, and then threads through my current wing's strap/glide arrangement.

I'm not trying to be cheap - I'm an anesthesiologist by profession and very familiar with the need for quality critical gear, especially life support equipment. People do use Ranger wings frequently on backplates. All I'm asking is if anyone has successfully found a way to use a bit older design Ranger wing on a plate - not reinventing the wheel.

Zeagle urethane bladders are huge
inside those little covers

I sew entirely new covers to fit rebreathers, that are
broader than doubles wings utilising Zeagle bladders

Their bladders are exceptional

and all sorts of other custom stuff

Have someone sew a panel inside the horseshoe

What am I doing on the manufacturers forum

Hi all,

I tried searching this topic, with no success. My Ranger's wing is apparently an older style. It has a single bottom dump on the left side, and is attached to the vest by straps on the left wing cover running through triglides on the right cover. As part of my re-entrance into diving, I'd like to try a backplate system out. Eventually my plan is to keep the Ranger around with either the 44lb or a smaller wing as backup/buddy gear.

Has anyone successfully mounted an old Ranger wing to a Zeagle or other brand backplate? My gear acquisition in the last 2 months has hit critical spousal acceptance level, such that I can get a plate but likely not an entirely new rig (otherwise I would just grab a whole new BP/W). The newer Z wings attach differently, needing only a few bolts and appropriate holes in the BP.

If it's a nogo, that's not the end of the world. I'll just wait longer - not going to sell the Ranger to get a BP (see above comment about building set of backup gear).

Thanks in advance.

We can probably modify your old bladder to make it work with our backplate system.

You can call Zeagle Customer Service at 813-782-5568 and get an RA #, then send just the bladder section in to us.

Thanks,

Scott

Wow, even better. Thank you, Scott. I'll get on the phone this week.

Back
Top Bottom