Older Dacor & Beuchat Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Looking for a little advice. I picked up a lot of cheap regs, some that I have no first hand experience with, so I want to figure out what to keep and what to sell. A Dacor 1st marked 950, with two 2nd marked XL Pacer. A Beuchat 1st with 2 HP & 4 LP ports but no other markings, with a 2nd marked VS. The Beuchat also had gauges from Sierra Scuba that I have never heard of before that were made in the USA.

IMG_2648.jpgIMG_2647.jpgIMG_2646.jpgIMG_2644.jpgIMG_2645.jpg

I took a look at the Beuchat manual and the best I can tell ( I could be wrong) is your first stage is a VX4 which is appears to be a balanced piston and the second is a VS which is a classic downstream. The manual is from 1999 and the exact photos are not there so either they are newer or more likely older. Maybe from the 80s or so. The manual gives the o-ring specs but I am not sure what you can do for a seat.

Last edited:
The Beuchat VS is definitely older. I have one in my parts box...I haven't measured the lp seat, but it's like a Sherwood lp.
You can always flip it :)
Nothing to write home about...I'd put it on the 'sell' list. Plus parts kits aren't easy to come by (more problematic with the first stage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both will be somewhat problematic to get parts for.......especially the 1st stages.
The Beuchat (could be called a Voyager) 1st stage is similar, and may be identical parts wise with a Scubapro MK5.
The Dacor 2nd stage seats are a bit thicker than most and don't like to be flipped.
The Beuchat 2nd is a better performer than it looks and takes a normal seat.

I owned a Dacor 950XL...in 1981. I think parts will be hard to find for it.

Correct, its an old Beuchat VX4 with a basic VS second stage. The VX4 was a balanced piston reg and was bullet proof.

They lasted forever with almost no maintenance, and if its still good I would have no hesitation in diving it.

Its biggest fault was it was a noisy breather as the air flowing over the HP seat set up a resonance on inhalation they could never really get rid of. So if on breathing it you hear a "tinny resonance" almost a squeek - dont worry, its usual. :wink:

The VX second stage was just a basic demand valve and as it had access on both sides you could attach the LP hose to use the demand valve on either the left or right side. Quite usual for the day as they often dived demand valve on the left in Europe back then.

Although the VS demand valve breathed very well it was prone to free flows, later it was upgraded with a tensioning kit to eliminate the free flow, (this one does not have it fitted) and the kit is most likely still available as a spare part.

The purge button was unfortunately also an issue, designed to be easily removed, it came in a variety of colors, the idea been to enable you to partially colour code your reg to your gear, sadly this left the button prone to falling off and getting lost along with the purge button spring. Later it was upgraded and the issue sorted out, but to repair that unit you have you would need the upgraded screw on face plate as well as the new purge button / spring assembly.

The VX4 first stage can be overhauled very easily, a few O rings and a HP seat is all thats needed, if you are not able to obtain the genuine Beuchat HP seat the unit will accept the generic HP seat available, and the VS second stage uses a basic flat plate LP seat available anywhere.

These are old units, around mid 90's, but are solid, bullet proof minimalist performers, tune them up and use them, they will be just fine.

Sierra Scuba made good gauges, sadly they stopped around the mid 90's as well, but again if they work, use them, they are good solid products.

If you need workshop schematics and instructions to repair the VX / VS unit PM me, I will be happy to oblige.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2014 at 01:39 PM ----------

I took a look at the Beuchat manual and the best I can tell ( I could be wrong) is your first stage is a VX4 which is appears to be a balanced piston and the second is a VS which is a classic downstream. The manual is from 1999 and the exact photos are not there so either they are newer or more likely older. Maybe from the 80s or so. The manual gives the o-ring specs but I am not sure what you can do for a seat.

Yeah, early to Mid 90's, there were a few models but that particular one is from the early 90's on...

---------- Post added May 17th, 2014 at 01:43 PM ----------

The Beuchat VS is definitely older. I have one in my parts box...I haven't measured the lp seat, but it's like a Sherwood lp.
You can always flip it :)
Nothing to write home about...I'd put it on the 'sell' list. Plus parts kits aren't easy to come by (more problematic with the first stage)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, the VS was Beuchats first real demand valve from the mid/late 80's and they used it for all the first stage combinations right up to around 2003/4 in various upgraded models.

As Fishpie says it was actually a very good breather and was dead easy to repair, generic parts are available everywhere, you could strip it down and do a complete service in 10 minutes and be back in the water, one seat and a few o-rings, it was that simple.

The purge button was unfortunately also an issue, designed to be easily removed, it came in a variety of colors, the idea been to enable you to partially colour code your reg to your gear, sadly this left the button prone to falling off and getting lost along with the purge button spring. Later it was upgraded and the issue sorted out, but to repair that unit you have you would need the upgraded screw on face plate as well as the new purge button / spring assembly.

I have the matching BC. It is grey and the red pocket flaps are attached by velcro. I bought it as a closeout in 1990 or 1991. IMG_0793.jpg

and a matching belt. IMG_0794.jpg

I have the matching BC. It is grey and the red pocket flaps are attached by velcro. I bought it as a closeout in 1990 or 1991. View attachment 184416

and a matching belt. View attachment 184417

:D Indeed Indeed, nice to see a real trusty old Master lift BC in such good condition. Indeed, the pockets flaps were detachable so you could colour combine with your reg etc. I think I may still have one here as well, but not in such good condition.

Tough old performer, and, if I could say, they were "almost" bulletproof as well.

The biggest issue they ever experienced with them was the Cummerbund was attached to the plastic back plate by a small piece of velcro, which, when it got sandy or old used to release its grip and the cummerbund and the BC back plate parted company, terrible for trim :wink: and it was common to see guys with the tank floating way above them...., but folk were innovative back then and most just ended up sewing the two pieces of hook and loop velcro together and it was Job done......no more problems.!

.....but the hose and power inflator were again, simply and basic, although that unit did not have a pull dump in the PI hose, but a pull release valve on the right shoulder as can be seen on yours.

That BC was one of the first made completely in house by the Beuchat company in Marseille in that they stamped it out, sewed it together, made the cummerbund in house etc, as in fact was the VX regulator, manufactured completely in house at their own factory. They were a very innovative company actually and had some great ideas for the day.

Beuchat makes good gear but they were never a popular brand in the US. Their marketing was almost non-existent and they lacked a strong distributor. People forget that the famous Scubapro Jetfins and the original 108 are actually Beuchat designs.

I am not sure why divers got tank separation with that bc because it also has a plastic clip in addition to the cummerbund. Maybe they updated the BC, I have seen grey ones on eBay that look older and seem different.

The BC is in such good shape because it was well cared for and has a low number of dives. Soon after I purchased it a friend gave me a Sea Tec Manta BC that I preferred for the beach diving I was doing at the time. I use a wing now so it just sits in my closet.

Yes, you are right.

In the early / mid 90's they made a good attempt at entering the US market with a factory owned distribution / run centre in Ft Lauderdale run by one of the owners, and at the time I believe and they were starting to see results, but for whatever reasons, they did move to a distribution system out of Miami later, and unfortunately they were not able to reach critical mass as it were.

Very unfortunate as they had, and still have desirable high quality products.

...and quite correct on the Jet Fin, a well, well known Beuchat product in its day and probably what put them on the soft goods map.

The BC you mention is most likely an upgraded version, I have one here for sure somewhere, they also made it in Black. I'll try find it and pop a photo here, actually I have a whole host of period (90's) Beuchat gear which I still occassionally even use, I'll see if I have the time I'll dig it up and post some pics

Back
Top Bottom