Old Yellar Tank Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
465D0D48-F432-4D0C-A1EC-CEC4172AE0CA.jpeg
Has anyone seen/used anything like this? I bought it recently thinking I could use it to turn an AL80 into a steel tank weight wise... or something. (Slapping own hand—must resist dive shop used gear shelf!)

I think this dates back to before the AL80 to the AL72, which was a "floater" at about four pounds positive for each tank. I will post a photo of me wearing twins made of these floating tanks, with a PVC tube in the middle holding 8 pounds of weight.

SeaRat

What does it weigh? In warm water I need most of my weight around the top of the tank to keep my head down without moving. I string weights on the top bcd strap and the DM's always want to argue about it..

If I had not found a workable solution I'd be trying to talk you out of it.

I think this dates back to before the AL80 to the AL72, which was a "floater" at about four pounds positive for each tank. I will post a photo of me wearing twins made of these floating tanks, with a PVC tube in the middle holding 8 pounds of weight.

SeaRat
Interesting @John C. Ratliff I’d love to see the photos

aquacat8,

Below are two photos showing me using the twin AL 72s, which were floaters. I believe they were rated at 2475 psig, and were a full 72 at that rated pressure. The steel 72s were only at 72 cubic feet of air when at a 10% overfill, or 2475 psig. But these steel 72s were stamped at 2250 psig. So unless they had a "+" behind their stamp, they were only about 66 cubic feet of air. On these twin AL 72s, you can see the eight 2-pound weights were contained in the PVC pipe on the back. These weights were originally made for a Mar-Vel integrated weight pack for single tanks, and were 2 pound each, about an inch and a half in diameter, and three or so inches long.

These photos were shot in Clear Lake, Oregon (headwaters of the McKenzie River), and I have a very special wet suit, which incorporates a BC into the back panel of the wet suit. The white on the wet suit's back is a sandwich of two neoprene layers, forming a bladder I could use as a BC. It worked very well, and was designed by Bill Herder of Deep Sea Bill's in Newport, Oregon in the mid-1970s. This photo also dates to that era. These AL tanks had just come onto the market, and people did not like them because of that "floater" situation.

John

Attachments

• John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 113
  • John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
This is not vintage. Halcyon/Brownies Dive shop sold them in the mid/late 90's as a trim weight for their single wings. Weighted STA's were better and didn't give you that feeling of it wanting to roll you. Plus, they were a PITA when switching tanks between dives on a rocking boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom