Old US Divers mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Way back in '67 or '68, my dad bought me a "real" SCUBA divers mask, while we were in Hawaii. Lately I've been looking for one just like it. As I've mentioned, it was a US Diver's mask. It was of course, black rubber, with an oval lens with a cut in it for the nose section, and had a chrome retainer ring. The unique thing about it was that it had some white rubber trim around the lens. It also had a nose pocket with a purge valve in the bottom.
Anybody seen one of those?
My very first mask, prior to the US Divers mask, was some sort of joke meant to kill me I think. Blue rubber, lots of volume, didn't seal, plastic lens, and the worst part; it had two snorkels with ping pong balls in plastic cages sticking out of the top of it. I remember taking the snorkels out and plugging the holes to make it sort of servicable.
I'm NOT looking for one of those! Just wondered if any of you remembered 'em.

We have a little swap meet at our dive shop and a guy brought in one of those, it was exactly like the one I had. I must have drooled and looked too anxious because he ended up putting it back in his car before I could pull my wallet out.

Bummer! How much do think one like that might be worth?
Or more accurately, how much would you pay for one?
(Don't know diddly about values of vintage diving equipment).

Over the past years with the internet boom and ebay the prices have gone up. You used to be able to get an old double hose reg for 60 bucks, now they hardly ever go for less than $100. The same thing with masks and if the seller still has the original box the price will sky rocket. I have cataloged 60+ of Rogers vintage masks and I know that we have plenty more...he might even have the one your talking about and be able to tell you what he bought it for.

Oh yeah, we have some of those pingpong snorkel mask sets...too funny

Thanks for the info Leesa.
I do have, from my childhood (grandpa gave it to me), a brand new, still in the box, RONCO Pocket Fisherman. Never used it.
Last time I checked Ebay, it was only worth about $20.

Gotta correct that. It's a Popeil Pocket fisherman.

fishoutawater:
My very first mask, prior to the US Divers mask, was some sort of joke meant to kill me I think. Blue rubber, lots of volume, didn't seal, plastic lens, and the worst part; it had two snorkels with ping pong balls in plastic cages sticking out of the top of it. I remember taking the snorkels out and plugging the holes to make it sort of servicable.
I think I had one of those, blue rubber and all, used it in the swimming pool as a kid. I think the "ping pong balls" were originally transparent yellow plastic on mine.

Does it look like this?

pockfish.jpg

is it from the mid 70's? or somewhere around that?

I've actually caught fish on a pocket fisherman :D

And I do remember the mask from when I was a kid. I had one similar to it before getting my US Diver's Wrap Around (I still have one of those, doesn't fit my face any more, which sucks). No idea where you'd find one these days.

justleesa:
Oh yeah, we have some of those pingpong snorkel mask sets...too funny

As a kid I had one with the twin snorkels w/ping pong balls. I seem to think it was fill face too. That was a long time ago.

I also remember a nice black rubber oval with glass lense one I had. When I last saw it 20 years ago or so it was badly dried and cracked.

justleesa... Having lots of vintage stuff do you use any preservatives other than storage conditions?

Pete

We have everything in containers (maybe we should buy stock in plastic
39.gif
) Keep it out of the sun and as cool as possible. Roger will take it out every now and then and give it a visusal...depending what it is, maybe rub it down with silicon spray. The regs are also stored, as best we can, seperatly and Roger & I dive them. After use Roger always gives the reg a little overhaul.

Back
Top Bottom