Old photographer, but New to U/W Housed Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrfcobf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving since 1994, and I've been taking underwater photos on an old Sea & Sea MX-10/YS40A almost as long.

This past week, my fiancée turned it up a few notches for me. She bought me the Ikelite housing and strobe for my Canon Rebel XTi. I've been practicing with it around the house, and I am ready to be amazed underwater, I know.

I've got some tips from an amazing u/w guy for basic settings, but I'd sure appreciate any other tips too.

What do you use to attach the camera to your BCD's, etc.?

Settings I'm using are:
ISO 100
Camera on M mode
1/125
F8 (to start)
Center Point Focus
Center Weighted Metering

Anything else I should consider?

Your settings look about right for wide angle stuff, for macro I would go to f16 to start to keep my DOF as large as possible. On dives, I attach my camera to a plastic tether tied to my BC so if I need to I can go camera free and have use of both hands.
Which strobe?
Bill

Idon't know the Rebel XTi but best is when you do a series of tests in a pool to get practice with the housing and the strobe.
Depending on your strobe you may also use Tv or Av mode,
Tv mode for for adjusting backgroound color or fast moving fish or surge
Av mode for controlling DoF

I have tied 2 snap bolts on the tray of my G11 Patima housing to snap one on the left and
the other on the right D-Ring of the shoulder straps of my BCD.
This keep the camera in a protected position in front of my chest and i have my hands free to do other things.

Chris

I have the Ikelite DS-51 strobe.

Great idea on the pool test. I think I'll try to do that this week.

Right now, I just have my regular kit lens - 18-55. That's how I started with my Sea & Sea MX-10. Eventually, I bought the macro lens and then more.

Back
Top Bottom