Old old reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pusser

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a da aquamaster a while back on ebay and showed it to my friend. He says "I have a 2 hose reg you can have". His (now mine) is aqualung has a blue label riveted to the casing and just says Cousteau Gagnan process but no model #
Compared to the aquamaster it breaths harder on the surface but was wondering if that is to be expected from the older reg or can be adjusted?
As soon as I can find a replacement hose for the aquamaster I am going to try them out in a pool. Any info out there?

When I was at Diving School in the Navy, We were taught to repair equipment and All of the diving Equipment. The Aqualung Double Hose regulator was "Sandard Equipment". The "Wishbone" that is spring loaded that runs across the Diaphram can be bent to make the breathing easier or harder. You will have to adjust it and try it before a good balance.
I know that You can get the replacement Hoses for the Regulator and all the internal parts. I just forget, right now, where.....
I'll look into it by calling a couple of sources here in the Seattle area.......Bill

dilligaf368:
When I was at Diving School in the Navy, We were taught to repair equipment and All of the diving Equipment. The Aqualung Double Hose regulator was "Sandard Equipment". The "Wishbone" that is spring loaded that runs across the Diaphram can be bent to make the breathing easier or harder. You will have to adjust it and try it before a good balance.
I know that You can get the replacement Hoses for the Regulator and all the internal parts. I just forget, right now, where.....
I'll look into it by calling a couple of sources here in the Seattle area.......Bill

Refer this thread to Click Here or to Click here also

Both of these places do a great job of double hose regulator repair and adjustment.

What you have described is a DA Aqualung regulator, I believe. It is the first regulator introduced into the United States, and was used by the US Navy for a time until the DA Aquamaster was available.

Concerning the ease of breathing, it is a "hard breathing" regulator. It has no venturi action to minimize breathing effort, so you have to literally suck each breath out of the regulator. You will most probably never get it to perform to the standard of the DA Aquamaster, but the DA Aqualung is a good museum piece. Try it out in the pool, but don't put a lot of money into rebuilding it, as you will never get it to perform to the specifications of the DA Aquamaster.

SeaRat

Welcome pusser to vintage diving. the main Vintage Diving borard is :

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/

There are links to parts, rebuild experts and all kinds of info on safely diving with double hose regulators, it is super fun!!!! N

Thanks for all the help guys. I do own 'modern' dive gear as well but I have always liked antiques of all kinds so as a diver, it is natural to want to try the old stuff out.
I was amazed to read that Peter Gimbel dove the Andrea Doria in 1956 with the gear available at the time. That seems like an amazing feat. Anyone know did they use special equipment for that dive?

According to the link rndboulder provided my "new" reg is '53 model. It has the Broxton Ave address on it.

pusser:
I bought a da aquamaster a while back on ebay and showed it to my friend. He says "I have a 2 hose reg you can have". His (now mine) is aqualung has a blue label riveted to the casing and just says Cousteau Gagnan process but no model #
Compared to the aquamaster it breaths harder on the surface but was wondering if that is to be expected from the older reg or can be adjusted?
As soon as I can find a replacement hose for the aquamaster I am going to try them out in a pool. Any info out there?

You can have your regulators serviced and buy new hoses from either of the following excellent sites:

Vintage Scuba Supply

or

Vintage Double Hose.com

Back
Top Bottom