Old Dive Rite Classic Wing opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys

In light of one of my most recent posts, I decided to buy a Dive Rite Classic wing set. However I have found a full Dive Rite Classic wing with Transplate harness for a really good price (not the newest Classic XT nor the Classic EXP before that). It is from an older gen, obviously since it was released when Dive Rite still had their old logo. Nevertheless it is still brand new and has never been in use. While my original plan was to purchase from the newest range, this is being sold at a much reduced price which is perfect for me as my budget is tight at the moment considering there is still a lot more gear I need to buy as well, but I still would never want to compromise safety. Would you guys recommend I go for it? Are the older Dive Rite models still on par with the newest ones? Thanks for reading.
IMG_8859.jpeg
DiveRite Set.jpeg

I have two Dive Rite classic wings that are over a decade old and still in great shape. They are awesome wings.

I have two Dive Rite classic wings that are over a decade old and still in great shape. They are awesome wings.
That is great to hear. Is almost everything the same such as 60 Ibs lift and the same materials? Obviously the new version has the Gusset Control System (GCS) cording and has a donut design whereas the old one is horseshoe framed. Other than that are they very much the same wings?

looks to be in good shape, should work fine unless if the inner bladder is starting to fail. i would open it up and check to see if it has the older clear bladder or has the newer black one.

A fellow SB’er generously gave me a 10-12 year old DR Rec wing to get me started with doubles. I had to replace the power inflator head, as well as the OPV. I love free! :D The current model of this wing runs $330.

NOTE on the older wings: there was a recall in the late 2000s. The spring on the OPV could break. That would be very bad, of course. I googled the recall and found the serial number range. Serial number on my wing was in the recall range. I emailed DR with pics (indicating I wasn’t original owner) and was sent a replacement spring. I elected to replace the entire OPV.

Wing was well-loved, but still has a lot of life in it. Waiting for April to get it in the water at the quarry. So far it’s just been in the pool, but is performing just fine. The Rec wing has 45lb lift. Original owner used it with HP100 doubles. I’m using it with HP80 doubles.

Look for my thread on rehabbing an old wing.

B638B4F6-A8F0-4C8D-B929-27620B8A8877.jpeg
D5EF1BCA-81E2-4C78-A846-3BDFFF2CEE98.jpeg

A fellow SB’er generously gave me a 10-12 year old DR Rec wing to get me started with doubles. I had to replace the power inflator bead, as well as the OPV. I love free! :D The current model of this wing runs $330.

NOTE on the older wings: there was a recall in the late 2000s. The spring on the OPV could break. That would be very bad, of course. I googled the recall and found the serial number range. Serial number on my wing was in the recall range. I emailed DR with pics (indicating I wasn’t original owner) and was sent a replacement spring. I elected to replace the entire OPV.

Wing was well-loved, but still has a lot of life in it. Waiting for April to get it in the water at the quarry. So far it’s just been in the pool, but is performing just fine. The Rec wing has 45lb lift. Original owner used it with HP100 doubles. I’m using it with HP80 doubles.

Look for my thread on rehabbing an old wing.

View attachment 506306 View attachment 506307
Very interesting! Could you by any chance tell me what the serial number range is? So that I can cross check it with this unit to see if this unit was part of the recall or if it had been released after? I doubt it is however because it is still new and well maintained. And the people selling it are incredibly professional tech and cave divers and it is highly doubtful they would ever sell a defective unit. Nevertheless, always good to be sure

Free is always amazing haha. Unfortunately it won't be the case with this one but I am still saving almost half the value. The newest model is the Classic XT. And hey maybe next year when the money situation is looking a little bit better for me, I can order in the new Classic. But as things stand now I still have a lot more gear to assemble so as long as I have a fully functional wing, I can't complain

That is great to hear. Is almost everything the same such as 60 Ibs lift and the same materials? Obviously the new version has the Gusset Control System (GCS) cording and has a donut design whereas the old one is horseshoe framed. Other than that are they very much the same wings?

I don't know honestly. I've never used any of the newer Dive Rite doubles wings. Just my two classic wings. My two are both 60 lb rated lift, that much I can confirm. But how else they compare to the newer wings I'm not able to comment.

Regarding the recall, both of my wings were upgraded to the new spring.

Very interesting! Could you by any chance tell me what the serial number range is? So that I can cross check it with this unit to see if this unit was part of the recall or if it had been released after? I doubt it is however because it is still new and well maintained. And the people selling it are incredibly professional tech and cave divers and it is highly doubtful they would ever sell a defective unit. Nevertheless, always good to be sure

Free is always amazing haha. Unfortunately it won't be the case with this one but I am still saving almost half the value. The newest model is the Classic XT. And hey maybe next year when the money situation is looking a little bit better for me, I can order in the new Classic. But as things stand now I still have a lot more gear to assemble so as long as I have a fully functional wing, I can't complain

You’ll have to google for it. I’m at work and the CPSC site doesn’t come up well on my phone.

Was able to get on the CPSC website ok. Serial number Range is in circled portion.
C24D6202-65E1-4401-95CD-66F322FFFB11.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom