Okoboji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning All. I'll be diving Okoboji again this morning and tomorrow as well. My son is doing his open water dives to get certified. Now I'll have a full time buddy. I'll fill you all in on the conditions if you would like when I get back.

jafo123

Would love to hear about your dives. I did my Rescue Diver certification at Okoboji last fall. Visibility should be much better this time of year.

Scubagal:
Would love to hear about your dives. I did my Rescue Diver certification at Okoboji last fall. Visibility should be much better this time of year.

On Sat. and I don't think the temp. outside got above 52 deg. and overcast. The wind was something else. We had 32 mile an hour winds right out of the north west. I didn't mind as I was dry sute diving. Kind of made it nice and warm when the andies undies went on. The dive was just a short 45 min. fun dive and not very deep 24ft I think it was. The other divers doing there open water dives for the first time in various wet sutes came out of the water purple. Lots of hot coco was consumed during the day. Water temp. was 48 deg. Vis was 25+ ft if you didn't have a new bunch in the water. It was kind of funn just sitting around watching them bring up different stuff off the lake bottom like two fishing rods assorted bottles and a mop.

Sun. morning was a lot better. Sun was out and just a slight brezze. I was first in the water and what a dive I had. It was just great. I found a rock pile just out past one of the docks we were diving from and there was a ton of fish there. Walleye, Bass and even a couple of northerns made a cruse buy. Once again Vis. was 25+ft and the water temp. at the time I got out was 54deg. Wasn't any need for coco today. No one turned purple today. Every one had a real good time. Great diving.

jafo123

Scubagal:

I will be also doing my rescue training dives at Okoboji next weekend. I just hope it's just a little warmer that last sat.

jafo123

I,m originally from Iowa. Been to Okoboji when I was a kid. Not to make you jealous but yesterday we went 40 miles out in the Gulf from Matagorda,TX(south of Houston) to platform and made two dives in 74 degree water to 91 ft. Owner of boat shot amberjack. Gulf was smooth as glass(a rarity).

Hope to get some diving in in Iowa one of these days.

Thanks for the info, Jafo123. Do you remember what sites you dove? My husband and I dove the Milford Tower by ourselves the day before my Rescue Diver class. Just about finned right into it, as visibility was only about 5 ft. We found a mask on that dive.

Good luck on the Rescue Diver course. It's tough, but probably the best class I've taken yet.

Scubagal:
Thanks for the info, Jafo123. Do you remember what sites you dove? My husband and I dove the Milford Tower by ourselves the day before my Rescue Diver class. Just about finned right into it, as visibility was only about 5 ft. We found a mask on that dive.

Good luck on the Rescue Diver course. It's tough, but probably the best class I've taken yet.

The first dive was on the west side of the lake from a dock at a place called Village West. The second dive was on the east side of the lake by a place called The Inn. There are two water inlet pipes there and both are fun to dive.

jafo123

Back
Top Bottom