Okinawa Trip Report 5-17-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went to Okinawa for my gf's b-day. We stayed only two and a half days, but of course got in two days of diving. Since she selected the Kerama Islands, we stayed in Naha. The weather had been quite rainy for several weeks, but we were treated to only a light shower on our first day. Our two dive days were partly cloudy and a bit breezy; overall very pleasant. While in Naha, we stayed at the beautiful Libre Garden Hotel. It's clean, new, and a pretty good deal. It's also conveniently located in Naha.
What to say about Naha? There's a castle. I hear that there's a shrine as well. Best of all, it's right across from the Kerama Islands. I'm afraid it's just not much of a tourist town. There are some good restaurants but overall it didn't strike me as a tourist Mecca. We were trying to figure out what makes Naha's economy run. My guess was the widespread construction and maintenance of apartment buildings. I'll upload some pics when the server gets well again.
The gf selected Tropico for our diving needs. The prices are pretty good, and they have a large, well-appointed boat. Their equipment was in pretty good shape and they weren't totally spassed about catering to a foreigner (that's me). On the second day, they became downright warm! While they provided a satisfactory experience, I think next time I'll try a different shop. Nice boat though.
On Friday, we headed out on the Tropico II, a 65' twin prop with heads, showers, and ample space. We went out with 10 divers and three guides (and thankfully came back with the same numbers). There was a group of six "salary man" divers on a company trip as well as my gf and me. We got paired with a very nice couple from Tokyo. Our DM was Ota-san. The trip to the Keramas took 40 minutes. The swells were about 1m and it was slightly breezy which made for a comfortable trip. We anchored in the shelter of some small islands whose names I didn't bother to note. The Keramas are a collection of rocky outcroppings that jut out of the ocean; some covered in greenery, but all very small. I've also a few photos of these to upload, gods willing.
We did two dives in and about the Kerama group. Despite the recent torrential rains, visibility was a respectable 20-25m and the conditions were good overall. This area, we were told, has a nice balance of sand and corals (mostly soft) as well as a variety of tropical fish, such as: Damsels, Moorish Idols, Wrasses, Anemone fish, etc. In truth, although I managed a few photos most of my time was spent in working with my gf.
She's not the most comfortable person with scuba to start with. This was our first dive in 5mm neoprene (usually 3mm or less) and we both underweighted ourselves. I was able to deal, barely, however she had a very hard time. She can be a bit panicky, and so I spent most of my first two dives coaching her with her bc, breathing, not shooting to the surface in a panic, etc. She did not have a good time. I admit, I was a bit stressed myself (worrying that she'd bolt for the surface in a panic) but hey....I was diving, right?
Anyway, graduating from 6kg to 7kg to 7.5kg I finally got myself neutral and enjoyed the third, drift dive. I was a bit nervous since it was my first drift (also having to follow the Japanese dive briefing). Luckily for me, there was no current. I assume there was supposed to be one at our third spot, but we ended up swimming to hell and gone where the boat finally picked us up. Along the way, we passed the other dm and group. The DM gave a big shrug to his colleague which I interpreted as "where the hell is the current?!" My gf had gotten rather down from her first dives an stayed on the boat so I was able to enjoy myself more despite being driftless.
Our second day, we dove Tsubishi, about half way between Okinawa and Kerama. We took the 40' Prospero III, which has definitely seen better days. It was a, how does one say this delicately....a piece of ****! Diesel was spewing out of the deck plates, out of the stern, and all over our gear. The interior was falling apart. Even the captain's seat was ripped to blazes with bare foam and no upholstery. I mean, come on. Since when does the Captain not take care of his own bottom. Jeeze! It took us forty minutes on Prospero III to make the half way point (we made the full trip to Kerama in 40 minutes on the Tropico II, remember?) The engine looked, smelled, and sounded in need of a major overhaul. No facilities at all (which I can live with, but had to listen to gf's incessant comparisons). Hey, to tell the truth, if the boat gets me there and back, I don't care so much...but the diesel exhaust spewing all over was pretty low class (and nausiating).
We were first aboard at 12:10pm and got our gear checked and stowed. There wasn't much space, but with some consideration we could make do. There were two young women from Tokyo with us who got their things nicely stowed as well. Then came, what I referred to as, the all-Nippon-champion dive team, starring; tank man...equipment man...video man...most scary of all, Speedo man...and the rest. Five splendid divers with splendid equipment just dying to show how splendid they were with no regard for mere mortals such as your humble narrator.
I was trying to make this report short, but I just can't help myself...sorry. For those of you who don't want to know of <Malon Brando voice> the horror...the horror <end Brando> Vis was about 15m, seas about .5m, partly cloudy, breezy. Overall pretty nice diving. Now, on with our story.
Oh yes...the All Nippon Champion Dive Team. <ahem> They arrived with all the swagger one would expect of such world renown divers, tossing their expensive new gear bags carelessly onto the all ready cramped deck space. One moved directly into the phoneboothesque cabin where he emerged as Speedo Man and forthwith commenced to adjust his package in front of all of us. This, of course, entailed stretching the waistband and flexing it up and down to expose his pubes (I managed to avert my eyes at that point, God knows what else he exposed). Good thing the engine wasn't running and spewing diesel fumes or I surely would have lost my breakfast.
As Speedo Man was giving us his erotic performance, equipment man decided (ok, he was told to) police up his gear. To him, this meant spreading it all out on the deck (no big deal, mine was secured and I had a grandstand seat from which to watch the fun although it seemed like bad form to me), watching it glisten and shine in the light, then piling it up haphazardly, half on top of my gear and half on the tiny public portion of the deck (where it stayed for the whole trip). I guess with such grand equipment, one space just isn't enough.
While all this was happening, Video Man was, of course, taking video of the boat, the people, the water in the harbor (yuck), the van that brought them...you name it. Again, harmless enough though I do confess that I don't really like having my picture taken, and especially not by strangers. About the fourth time he panned over to me during a surface interval I was extremely tempted to fly the American Eagle for him...if you know what I mean.
As if to hint at his special power but not fully reveal it, Tank Man put his tank in his BCD and God's truth, he had it so low I have no idea how he got the first stage on it. More on him later though. I admit I'm no pro, but then again I don't act like one. From the way these guys strutted their stuff, all could see they were the creme de le creme so I felt no need to interfere.
Anyway, we got underway finally where I made the mistake of dumping my shirt in the cabin and grabbing my water. Of course my seat was taken when I returned, so I slipped by and had a seat on the stern, the better to enjoy the sun and spray and avoid the diesel fumes. I chatted with the girls from Tokyo a bit but alas, they were not in our dive group. That's right. I had the priveledge of diving with the ANCDT!
What can I say...these guys were the first in everything. First to clog up the deck while suiting up. First in the water (since others had no space to equip). Just the first. I wasn't so stressed about that. I don't take long, and I don't mind waiting. I did mind when Tank Man smacked by gf in the head with his tank (luckily for her and him he barely grazed her, but come on. Where does she get off sitting in her space she's been in for the last hour and having the nerve to bend forward to adjust her boots! I'll have to talk to her about that).
Anyways, the guys were as much fun in the water as out. All of them, repeat ALL of them had cameras. That's cool. I've got one too. It's fun. What wasn't fun was when they continually swarmed and surrounded all marine life to the point of stressing it out and frightening it away. I mean these guys were like a pack of pirannah. At one point, our guide motioned me over "don't you want to see the turtle?" With seven uberdivers surrounding it, swimming with it, hemming it in...nah, I passed. At one point, the guide found a Moray. After he took a picture or two, I moved in to take one of my own. As I snapped my first shot what should I see. <trumpet charge> Yes, the ANCDT coming in at flank speed, in formation abreast, cameras blazing. Can't tell you how quickly I found something else to look at. Poor little eel. Hope it bit one of them.

I know everyone's been there, but this was a first for me. I could write pages, but I'll just give a quick list: smashing and bashing into anyone and anything in their way...coral, my gf, each other; tap dancing on the coral...soft coral's resilent, right?; surrounding and photographing sealife until it got stressed and took off ...eel, lion fish...turtle...God knows what else; at least one had a macro probe which he'd smoosh down into an anemone to get his shot, or some nudibranch or something that didn't benefit from his probe smashing it down; actually trying to push me off the ladder when I was taking my fins off to board the boat (as was the procedure...fin removal not diver pushing); dumping gear everywhere and anywhere on the boat during the interval (I just took to nudging it out of the way with my foot, which they took offense at); etc. ad naseum ad infinitum. It was kicks.
Actually, my gf had her buyoncy worked out and on our second dive we agreed to stay at the extreme fringes of the group so we had some nice diving. I saw some tiny little creatures that the herd never would have noticed and that made my day. One guy, Video Man maybe, came sniffing around while I was setting up a shot on some little one-inch slug thing (stop me if I get too scientific on you) but not seeing anything bigger than his head soon swam back to the herd (what the hell is that strange foreigner looking at?) I guess it's more fun taking pictures of at turtle that's surrounded by divers who are taking pictures of it and of each other.
As for our dive operator, they had one bad habit that will keep me from going back. The DMs all have cameras and are constantly arranging (or trying to) divers for photos for their website (oh, you can buy copies too); underwater, here, there, on the boat. They ate up about 10 minutes of my air all told which isn't much, but as I said...I don't like my photo taken. I finally told them..."You know, one picture of me costs a free boat dive." That was the last picture of me. :eyebrow:
Also, when my gf was having buyoncy problems the first day, the guide was off taking pictures. Only after she popped to the surface (dragging me with her) did the guide come to help out (he grabbed her hand and made her swim with him). I realize they are guides, not instructors...but as DM wouldn't you keep an eye on your divers the first dive out, especially if that diver is extremely freshly minted and known to be out of her element?
I tried to help but she never listens to me. When she popped up the second time, I just waved goodbye to her (it was from shallow depth and her ascent was slow, but I wasn't hitching a ride again). Day one was pretty stressful for me. On day two she put on some more weight, took my advice to heart (quit playing with your inflator and BREATH), and was cool. We all lived happily ever after (I hope). Except for Speedo man who's too-tight Speedos compressed at 30m and made him a falsetto.:confused:

Two words for you:

Solo diving

Other than that, keep writing about your diving, I was laughing out loud reading your report.

How much do you weigh and do they still use Aluminum 80s down there? What kind and capacity tank did you use?

Most of the time, we err on the side of giving the diver too much weight for the first dive and then adjusting on the second dive. We also do buoyancy checks before the dive. Keep track of exactly what exposure protection you use, the tank volume and type, and whether you felt heavy or light.

Divemasters down in Oki are often herders rather than guides...one of the reasons why I like to keep the ratios low on my groups here in Izu.

Did you voice your concerns about your inexperience and ask for more help? Or did you expect them to pay more attention to you since you only have a few dives? Often times the reason for an unsatisfactory experience is that your expectations are not met because they are not voiced. But, from what it looks like, they were not very sensitive to your needs.

Anyway, hope to dive with you soon,

Agree with Matt. Also do a buoyancy check at the end of the dive with 50 bar left in your tank trying to do a safety stop at one meter. Alu80 tanks lose several kg when they get empty. The alu80 can even float...

Hey folks. Thanks for all your input. I aim to please, so if you can find humor in my reports...thanks for the compliments.
Although I'm still quite new at SCUBA, I'm pretty comfortable and have a decent understanding of the principals at work (famous last words). My GF did talk to them about her lack of experience/comfort but...oh well. The guide did bring some extra weights for us both (ended up near perfect for me but she was still a tad light...her main problem was not letting go of/understanding the use of her bc/inflator).
Pre-dive buyoncy check sounds like a great idea. I've checked out the MAR web page and you seem like a class act. I'd love to come up and dive with you sometime. Maybe early next year I'll come up for my AOW. I'll have my own gear by then.
With 7.5kg I ended up sweet and was able to nail my safety stop and was pretty neutral. GF finally found neutral, but had a heck of a first day finding it. I think that the shop were herders. We actually had a better time while our DM was catering to the All Nippon Dive Team because we had got our weights sorted out and I got her damned finger off of the button. Low interaction was fine with me.
My gf being what she is (a great person, but a hazardous buddy) trust me...I treat every dive like a solo dive. I just happen to have a mobile secondary air supply handy. Luckily, if I ever need it, I know I can overpower her (if only with my breath). Thanks again for all the input, folks. I've gotten so much useful info from Zen Divers and SB in general. I'm so glad I found this site.
I hooked up with PaulinJapan (soon to be Paul back home in the US) and we're hitting a dive with our gfs before he pulls out of Japan. Fukui, Sunday...just in case anyone has any additional insights or advice.

Sorry Mar...missed your question: We were using thin skinned Aluminum 80s. I weigh...ur hm...way too much. I was nice and neutral in Saipan in a 3mm full with a thin skinned AL 80 and 4kg, but that was borderline (trying to keep my weight minimum). I weigh about 190, but it's all muscle (except for the stomach...Mediterranian genes, you know).

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/BlueKerama.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/FishyBiz.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/SpeedTrap.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/OlChompy.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/SpottedMoray.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/TandFriend.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/RikRaeder/forester.jpg

MrMollusk.jpg

Oooh, nudis, don't let my DM see that one!

BTW, what do you mean by "thin skinned" Al80?

I heard there are two types of tanks. Those with thicker aluminum bodies and those with thinner. Thin-skinned...thinner tanks.

Back
Top Bottom