Okinawa - is shore diving good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I will be in Japan late summer with an option to get to Okinawa for a second dive trip for my son who is very much on the younger age of cert and asked for shore diving next trip.

Can someone comment on how good the Okinawa shore diving is? I realize this can be in the eye of the beholder, so I mean good as in easy access to nice reefs without crazy swims. In short, is it more like Bonaire/Curacao than California?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Hello, I will be in Japan late summer with an option to get to Okinawa for a second dive trip for my son who is very much on the younger age of cert and asked for shore diving next trip.

Can someone comment on how good the Okinawa shore diving is? I realize this can be in the eye of the beholder, so I mean good as in easy access to nice reefs without crazy swims. In short, is it more like Bonaire/Curacao than California?

Sir. Diving on Okinawa is best done from a boat. Diving from shore is a challenge with slippery and sharp edged coral. It is a great experience but you must be careful of the Coral at most of the wonderful dive spots in the Okinawa islands.

Lots of easy shore diving here. The locals wear felt-bottom boots to deal with slippery concrete steps. Most of my diving is shore diving. Lots of places to dive without any surface swims.

I just got in from 3 shore dives in the Sunabe/Kadena area.

Shore diving in Oki (at least on the west side) rewards those who work for it.

From most shore sites in that area, you’ll have to walk/crawl a reef for 50-100m. After that, you’ll get to absolutely breathtaking drop offs teeming with marine life. There are entry points everywhere, take your pick, the diving is unquestionably in the top tier of locations in the world.

Also make sure you get felt-soled booties.. the rocks are very slippery without them, and will defeat stonefish spines. A stonefish will end your dive QUICK if you step on one

From most shore sites in that area, you’ll have to walk/crawl a reef for 50-100m

Is lugging a big housed camera to get to the dive spot going to be very difficult from shore?

Is lugging a big housed camera to get to the dive spot going to be very difficult from shore?
Depends on the site. One of the nearer ledges like Kadena Seawall north isn’t going to be too bad, particularly at high tide. A sandy beach isn’t going to be a problem.

How big of a housing are we talking?

How big of a housing are we talking?

Full frame type housing. Not a compact camera.

Other questions if you don't mind please:

1. Are there direct flights to Oki from Europe or does one have to fly in to Tokyo and then on to OKI?

2. Do you know how long can one stay in Oki/Japan when they first enter the country in the airport without having to worry about extending their stay? (US and UK passports)

I haven’t taken my housing in on a shore dive yet. Only on boats here. I can ask around to some other divers I know who do photography and see if they have any recommendations on shore sites other than Sunabe and Kadena Seawalls.

1. No not yet. They’re still reestablishing flights after COVID. The only present direct flights in/out of Naha Airport that I know of are: Taipei, Seoul, Manila, and the larger airports in Japan (Tokyo, Fukuoka, Osaka, and I THINK Hokkaido but I might be wrong, I’ve flown through the rest of the list within the past year). Japan has no additional COVID entry requirements if you are double vaxxed and boosted.

2. I’m not sure, I don’t deal with that because I have SOFA status. I’d follow up with a Japanese embassy/consulate on that question.

Full frame type housing. Not a compact camera.

Other questions if you don't mind please:

1. Are there direct flights to Oki from Europe or does one have to fly in to Tokyo and then on to OKI?

2. Do you know how can one stay in Oki/Japan when they first enter the country in the airport without having to worry about extending their stay? (US and UK passports)
No direct flights that I am aware of, but lots of connections from Tokyo / Osaka

You used to get 90 days on arrival for UK passports pre-covid but when I went June 22, I was only given 30 days and had to apply for visa ahead of travel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom