okinawa diving in mid june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi
im trying to figure out where the best diving might be in okinawa prefecture around mid-june. (16th-20th)

i was looking into the kerama islands, ishigaki island, and miyako islands. how would each compare, does one of the areas stand out amongst the others in terms of visibility, health of the corals, or amount of fish?

experiences/comments would be much appreciated

thank you

Coral health in all the islands is very good. Keramas and many points on the main island of Okinawa are outstanding. Mid June the weather will be the same on each of the islands - hot and humid. Miyako can be a bit tricky if you are not fluent in Japanese. Umicoza as mentioned above on Ishigaki is good as is Ensyea on Iriomote. (When myself or any of our clients dive Ishigaki/Iriomote we use Ensyea in Iriomote) In the Keramas we had 30meters plus viz today and 30 meters + off the mail island yesterday. The main island with day runs to the Keramas, Chibishi and Rukan Atoll will give you an great variety of spots to choose from depending on length of stay and how many dives you would like to do. In the Keramas we have a huge variety of reef fish (our recent Nudi round up - ID'ed 97 different species of Nudi's in one weekend of diving) We also have seen dolphin this week along with a few rays and sharks on top of the huge variety of reef fish and of course the ever present turtles. I am a bit partial to the Keramas/main island of Okinawa but the diving at any of those islands would be great in June. Feel free to PM for any details needed.

I'll be going with my Japanese wife (leaving Haneda dawn tomorrow!) so hopefully she can help me with translation. But she won't be diving with me so pre-dive prep, I'll have have to do my best I guess. The only thing is that for the next few days (2xdives in Iriomote and 2xdives in Ishigaki) it's gonna rain due to tsuyuu I guess. How are the currents there like this time of the year? It's a real pity that I can't make it to Yonaguni 'cos I really wanted to see that ancient monument.

Ishigaki and Iriomote dive shops generally cater to beginner divers so you will be diving sites with little to no current. On Ishigaki most of the boats will have a good number of taiken divers on board with you so the sites will be chosen accordingly.

Ishigaki and Iriomote dive shops generally cater to beginner divers so you will be diving sites with little to no current. On Ishigaki most of the boats will have a good number of taiken divers on board with you so the sites will be chosen accordingly.

Cheers for the info. I just (literally!!) finished diving. Did 2xdives in Iriomote few days ago & 2xdives in Ishigaki this morning. All were easy dives as you mentioned - 12-18m, no current, great visibility. We saw two manta rays, my first time. Absolutely so graceful. I didn't realize Ishigaki had a crown of thorns problem, corals did appear less "fresh" than Iriomote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom