Ok last question (I promise!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I am now looking at strobe setups.

I have two basic questions.

1) If I end up going with dual strobes like S&S YS27DX or CoolFlash Nano's, how does the second strobe know to fire?

I understand the first strobe has a fiber cord that syncs with the camera flash. How does the other flash fire? Slave on the first? Or is there something you buy that makes both units fire off the cable? I suspected that to be the case, but I can't really find the products to back up my theory.

2) Without a wide angle conversion (right now) do I really need 2 strobes? Would a single PX21/CoolFlash or YS27 be sufficient for my G9 setup?

I did the math, and I think I can get a dual Nano for about 320.00. Which is still less than one YS27DX. I suspect the Sea&Sea is a better strobe, which makes me wonder if two lesser strobes beat one superior strobe.

I've read several peoples comments about the Pixtreme/Nano and it seems to get decent reviews if your expectations are set properly.

I believe the answer to the first question in most cases is that the second is set up as a slave and will fire when it senses that the first has fired (with a sensor of course). And the answer to the second question is that you always "need" a second strobe because while it will provide more light for the "larger shots", it prevents shadows on the macro shots.

Back
Top Bottom