Ok Crab and shrimp experts...anyone got names?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This image was taken in around 90 ft of water, on a wreck, off of Panama City Florida. The wreck is sitting in around 104 ft to the sand

I have known for a while that these crabs live in this coral, did not know the shrimp were there.

First time I have tried to get an image of them... that is my thumb in the image, because they hide if you just try to look at them.

Body shape of the right one is very crab like, the bigger one is odd...

Would guess the shrimp are around 1/8 of any inch in size.

crab_2011_06_40.jpg

I enlarged that image, and there is another shrimp, with a side view, up and to the right of the center crab. (with it's head pointing down)

crab_and_shrimp_2011_06_40.jpg

Not sure about the irridescent shrimp, but the 2 red critters are what appear to be Common Squat lobsters / Munida pusilla ?

Not sure about the irridescent shrimp, but the 2 red critters are what appear to be Common Squat lobsters / Munida pusilla ?

Thanks a ton.... not pusilla, as the claws are different from one side to the other, and not sure one would use the term "common" for most of the species, but it would appear to definitely be some sort of Squat lobster. Not easy to find images for most of them, so not sure which one, or if it is a know species. But knowing it is a squat lobster is a tremendous help.... thanks.

Note: cannot find any of them that are know to be in the northern gulf, but only have gone thru 30 or so species...

So this guy lives in a native red Gorgonian (sea fan). Given that they have one short claw (left side) and one long claw (right side), not sure which family of squat lobster they are. However, unlike the common squat lobster, these guys will hide if you get near them. They may be very common, as they are very good at hiding. The male and female actually look different, I believe that is a female on the left (with the much rounder shell). I understand there are over 130 species... this may be one or it could be new...may never know.

Back
Top Bottom