Oil Rigs Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving on the Magician this last Sunday to the oil rigs. The conditions were not that bad. The ride was smooth out. From what I heard on Saturday they had 7 foot seas so it was not fun being out this Saturday. The water at the rigs was pretty green. So it was not the best of conditions. It was also pretty surgy on the rigs. It was good just to be in the water. Here are pics from the day at the rigs:

p2896102547-4.jpg

p2896102544-4.jpg

p2896102542-4.jpg

p2896102540-4.jpg

Actually the visibility cleared up nicely -once you went below 30msw/100fsw. You just couldn't stay as long for three repetitive dives at those depths to admire the amazing view of the abundant invertebrate life growing all over the structure.

Thermocline was at about 18msw/60fsw, where it went from 16°C/62°F down to 12°C/54°F. Surge at the top and current at depth around the structure were strong as usual. . .

Yup, I was on the Saturday boat. It was scheduled as a Farnsworth trip, but no way it would have been safe. I’m not sure if I’d say the majority, but nar from it, was puking. 7-8 foot seas sounds about right. We ended up doing Starlight, Blue Caverns, and Isthmus. Crew of the Magician worked wonders to get us good dive spots, so overall a great day. Oh and of course on the way back it was Lake Pacific again...maybe one day I’ll get out to Farnsworth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom