Oh Happy Days! My newest SM Kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got my newest kit delivered via UPS. I ordered the new Manta Industries SM harness and wing. It looks to be very well made. The one concern for me would be the plates. They are ABS or some sort of plastic. They still seem tough, and in all honesty, I am not very concerned because they don't take much of the load. This will fill my needs for a larger lift wing. Right now I am diving a UTD Zwing. The kit is very reasonably priced and comes complete. I can't wait to dive it. Once I get it wet, hopefully next week, I will let you know my impression of it. I will probably end up adding some "old school" bungee loops to it. I prefer that over the continuous piece.

Here are a couple pics.
Manta Wing 1.jpgphoto.jpg

Reactions: Jax
Yes, I got my wife one of those Manta SM Rigs a couple of months ago and we're adding "old-school" bungee loops as well (also a DIRZone butt plate). Funny you should mention the plastic plates, hers came with black anodized aluminum plates, which are more than strong enough. As a matter of fact, I made a razor clone, 2 weeks after Boegarts posted his first photo, using marine grade aluminum and always thought stainless steel was overkill.

Dave

I will have to look at it again closer but it felt like plastic might be aluminum.

I have not decided yet if I'm going to add a buttplate or not. Did she not like the D ring set up?

Umm....what are you doing with your Z wing..........? PayPal?

Umm....what are you doing with your Z wing..........? PayPal?

Hmm. I love my zwing and will probably keep it for my ow al80 double and singles setup. If I do decide to get rid of it, I will let you know.

Did she not like the D ring set up?

HaHa! She wants to look like me and my (modified) Armadillo! :)

I also removed all of the hardware and replaced it along with standard webbing. Now, only 1 welded D-ring on each shoulder strap and 1 welded D-ring on the waist.

Dave

Lol. That makes sense. I guess.

I will probably due some dring changes as well. None of mine are welded, but the tri-glide on the chest does have a ring welded to the side for the bolt snaps from the bungees. I like that feature.

Yea, I free those from the D-rings and route the bungee loops through them so they serve as bungee keepers. No bolt snaps needed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344912795.988023.jpg

Dave

Nice! I like that. On my Zwing I do not use bolt snaps at all on the bungee loops. I have never tried it with a bolt snap or retained in any way. I let the loop lift the valve up in to my armpit. Seems to work good for me. I might have to give your way a try. Steel tanks are new to me in SM. All of my SM diving has been AL80's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom