Ogden Point pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
Some pictures from Ogden Point today (Sunday). I went out to the end of the breakwater and let the current pull me along (It was too strong to swim against with my skinny legs). Most of the pictures are from the shallows where I could hold on to kelp and stop long enough to take a picture. As usual, the current disappeared as soon as I came back around the far corner. Visibility was only around 15 feet. I'm waiting for the good viz in summer/fall. There was a nice school of vermillion rockfish at the bottom though.

Nice pictures Mark. I guess you can't wait for viz to clear up in the inlet
so you can dive somewhere else than Ogden Pt.
The Breakwater is always a good anyway.

diveborg:
Those are pretty nice. I've never seen a rock fish that was that bright of red.
Those are the vermillion rockfish. The're usually pretty rare ( I never saw any until I moved to Victoria). There are a few places around here where they're pretty common. Ten Mile Point is a good spot, and of course the Breakwater. There's a group of about 20 of them between the end and the second corner at the bottom near the sand at around 75 feet deep.

swankenstein:
Those are the vermillion rockfish. The're usually pretty rare ( I never saw any until I moved to Victoria). There are a few places around here where they're pretty common. Ten Mile Point is a good spot, and of course the Breakwater. There's a group of about 20 of them between the end and the second corner at the bottom near the sand at around 75 feet deep.
Well that's it then. I'll have to come up there (again) and look for them. The first time is dived, or is it dove, the breakwater, all my attention was on the wolf eels.
both-eels.jpg
female-urchin.jpg
male-Rick.jpg

diveborg:
Well that's it then. I'll have to come up there (again) and look for them. The first time is dived, or is it dove, the breakwater, all my attention was on the wolf eels.
QUOTE]
That pair (I think I recognise them although the female looks younger. Are they old pictures?) have been there for years, but the female died sometime last fall (no-one saw a body, but since they mate for life, I don't think she would have just left). She was probably the most friendly wolf-eel on the breakwater (see my avatar), but she was pretty old. About 6 feet above that den there is another old den with a pair that are still together. It's probably easier to see the vermillion rockfish at 10-mile point (at the left side of the wall, when you are looking out from shore). There's no endless hike.

swankenstein:

I haven't seen those before either. Thought they were Red Snapper but knew the color was too dark.

I am heading to Seachelt this weekend to get my nitrogen fix. It's been too long.

Hyper-limits:
Nice pictures Mark. I guess you can't wait for viz to clear up in the inlet
so you can dive somewhere else than Ogden Pt.
The Breakwater is always a good anyway.
Vis was good at Mackenzie Bight yesterday. You still diving Al?

Good pics Mark.

SeanQ:
How far our do you have to walk to see those dens?
It's about 1/2 kilometre. All of the wolfeels I know live past the second bend in the breakwater. There used to be a young male closer in (at around #2 flag), but it looked like some idiot tried to dig him out and I never saw him again. The most "popular" pairs (or now, one pair and one widower male) live just after the second bend at around 50-60 feet depending on the tides. As you go further out, there are lots of other wolf eels (mostly single males) at the same depth. If you swim along when the current isn't going nuts, they often find you before you find them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom