Ogden Point kelp photos.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
I'm glad I stayed away from the Inlet today, but the vis wasn't great at Ogden Pt either (around 15 feet). Good thing I had a wide angle lens to fake better visibility. It was frustrating to try and keep the tripod standing up in the surge though.

Very nice photos... I like... :D

Looks kinda cold but it makes me want to go diving :bncry:

Thanks for sharing though :)

I noticed your slung pony. Have you always used a sling? Also do you only use it when solo diving?

Nice pics by the way. I know you take shots of yourself while solo diving but did you have help lining up these ones?

deepdiverbc:
I noticed your slung pony. Have you always used a sling? Also do you only use it when solo diving?

Nice pics by the way. I know you take shots of yourself while solo diving but did you have help lining up these ones?
I wouldn't usually use the bailout on a dive as shallow as the depths where most of those photos were taken, but about half of the dive was at 70 feet, so I brought it along. I started using it about a year ago. Yes, I was by myself yesterday and it was hard to get the tripod to stand up in the surge in the shallows, so I had to wrap a few strands of bull kelp around it to hold it up although it still swayed around a bit. When I dive with someone else, I still like to be self-sufficient so I still use the pony (and it would be too much trouble to keep installing and removing an octopus from my reg).

I must say I am impressed. You must set a timer and then swim into the filed of view. The main trick I expect is to get the exposure right the first time so you don't waste all your air redoing timed photos.

I don't know if my large Oly5050 and ikelite housing would balance very well on a tripod but its an interesting idea.

deepdiverbc:
I don't know if my large Oly5050 and ikelite housing would balance very well on a tripod but its an interesting idea.

My Canon would float away --- I guess I should put some weight in that puppy.

- ChillyWaters

deepdiverbc:
I must say I am impressed. You must set a timer and then swim into the filed of view. The main trick I expect is to get the exposure right the first time so you don't waste all your air redoing timed photos.

Yes, I set the timer on the camera. It's an older (1979's or 1980's) Minolta SLR, so there's a knob you set so when you push the shutter release button, you have about 8 seconds to swim more or less to where you want to be. It's all manual exposure, so I preset it to what I think will be the conditions (depth, amount of light). The kelp ones above were f11 and 1/125 sec with 400 speed film, but it's print film so it's not really picky. The tripod weighs around 5 pounds so there's no chance of the camera floating away. The hardest part is finding a flat sandy area to set it up (or somewhere you're not going to wreck any life). I probably do waste quite a bit of air trying to swim over frantically in front of the camera before the shutter goes off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom